428D Temp Light always on

garysp

Forum Newbie
Threads
The temp light on my Grasshopper 428D is always on. It comes on as soon as you start it even though the temp gauge seems to work fine and shows cold upon start up.
The last time I started it the light was off until I moved the handles in and then the light came on and it died instantly. It would not run at all with the handles moved in.
Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
What is a 428D?
What year is your 428D? When did you last flush & fill your radiator & replace your thermostat? Tip: always replace thermostat when radiator is drained. Use Kubota OEM parts. Check water temp. sending unit & wiring at block with multimeter. Google: How to test water temp. sending unit on Kubota 428D engine. Check radiator cap for tight seal.
read Viscosity Recommendations:http://dealer.grasshoppermower.com/...its__engine_maintenance_guidelines_122016.pdf
Let us know how it goes, thanks, Mark

Last edited:

garysp

Forum Newbie
Threads
I found the not running problem, the switch on the parking brake was not working.
The temp light comes on about a minute after start up and stays on. I unhooked the temp sender wire and the light stayed on. Temp gauge seems to work fine

gsim

Threads
Was going to suggest looking at both lever safety switches. I had similar start die issues with my 930D2. Buy a hand held infrared temp gun like the HVAC guys and pro mechanics have. I found one in eBay for around $8, and have it in glovebox of my Hopper just in case. I have to wonder if temp sensor switch is in trouble. I now keep extra electrical parts on hand for my Hopper. Sucks to be shut down and waiting on parts to arrive or driving to another county to pick up a part. So now I keep ign sw, pto sw, two different relays, temp sensor switch, steering leer switch, seat deadman switch all on hand. Not even $100 to have it on hand. I do miss the simplicity of my Old Toro Groundsmaster mower.