42" Riding Mower Choice

proofdude

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey folks, looking for a 42" deck on a good quality machine. Husqvarna and Exmark have a model, but wondering who else might have a smaller
deck with a good quality build and motor,,,(Kawasaki, Kohler) Thanks for looking. Steve in Ky.

a022mil

Threads
Hey folks, looking for a 42" deck on a good quality machine. Husqvarna and Exmark have a model, but wondering who else might have a smaller
deck with a good quality build and motor,,,(Kawasaki, Kohler) Thanks for looking. Steve in Ky.
Toro model4225, got same price from dealer as I would have with my 10% veteran discount, go with a dealer.

proofdude

Forum Newbie
Threads
a022mil,,,,,,, Thanks for the info. I keep forgetting about Vet discounts anywhere. I think I saw the Toro model.
Not sure who makes the engine though. Some outfit in China is making the Twin-Vs for Exmark & a few others.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Loncin makes the toro engines.
they seem to pretty well from what i've seen of them. you probably won't get 1500 hours out of one, but they seem to be good for the average homeowner.
Loncin is branded under the Predator brand at harbor freight.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Walkers go down to 34" AFAIK
And you will not find a better deck on the planet for mowing & bagging, not much chop for rough cutting

a022mil

Threads
a022mil,,,,,,, Thanks for the info. I keep forgetting about Vet discounts anywhere. I think I saw the Toro model.
Not sure who makes the engine though. Some outfit in China is making the Twin-Vs for Exmark & a few others.
Only trouble I have had. Was when I stopped on toro model 4225, for a short period, it would leave a burnt spot on my grass, would notice it the next day, I cut at 4 inches, seem’s longer grass help’s squeeze out the weed’s, live here in northern Ohio. My dealer has been more than helpful, more helpful than toro. He added a section to my muffler that help’s to deflect the heat from muffler, but I think all hydrostatic transmissions generate a lot of heat, the zero turns are lower than the riding mower’s, easier to operate, but harder to work with if you are pulling a spreader, due to the fact you are unable to reach back to the controls of the spreader.
Riding mower is you just turn around to pull your control lever on spreader. If you buy from a box store, they are not going to help you with some of the items you need help with. Check with a few dealer”s, I am certain they can match a box store, having service is very important, this is a residential mower, not commercial in my opinion.
Good Luck

proofdude

Forum Newbie
Threads
Appreciate the feedback. I have a Predator motor on a small tiller. It's great. I've been on an old Ariens 30" deck for 40 years and I'm really
used to those rear motor, open front mowers, but cutting about 1 acre takes forever. Not a big fan of the zero turns either.
Toro is about the only one making non zero turns with a 42" deck. I'm getting too old for this. Might just cut 1/2 my yard this year,,,Ha !!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Older Snapper RER 42" would be my choice, if you can find one.

slomo

proofdude

Forum Newbie
Threads
slomo,,,,,, I agree. Anything older is better made.

Lawn Addict
Threads
My 2014 Toro 4260 Timecutter leaves no muffler burn marks, & I cut @ 4 inch as well.
No complaints on my machine..