42" Husqvarna with Kawasaki engine

Regwal

Threads
A neighbor gave me this unit. Has a Kawasaki engine that he said just quit one day and appears to be locked up. sorta. When starter engages, engine moves slightly then stops, like something is in the way. I may try to repair it, or might just do an engine swap. Any guesses what this could be? I haven't done anything yet and will probably let it sit until time frees up a little, but I will be thinking all possible reasons for this problem. Trying to remember what engine looks like, OHV with two valve covers for sure. Beyond that I don't remember anything about engine. Also wondering where model and ser#s are located. Most likely will be giving thoughts after pulling covers up at night. LOL My first ever Kawasaki engine.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pull the rocker cover off & check that one of the pushrods has not been eaten .
IF all 4 are there pull the flywheel and look for something in there jambing against the stator.
After that is is screwdriver down the plug hole and see if you can push the pistons down = broken con rod.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check the oil level. If there is none showing on dipstick, that might be your answer.

If oil level looks OK, take the spark plugs out and see if you can rotate it by hand. If you can, the starter might be the problem. If you can't, it's probably toast.

Regwal

Threads
I found a 420 B&S engine for a backup. The locked engine has an electric mower clutch, the Brigs doesn't. Is there a difference in shafts? Will the electric clutch bolt right to the Briggs or will the change require more work?:anyone:

Regwal

Threads
Got back on this problem today. I had the battery on a charger for a while so I know the battery is up to snuff. I engaged the starter and the crank turned about half a turn, good news. Now I'm wondering if something is wound around the crank at drive pulley, like a vine or string. Or maybe the valves need adjusting? I attempted to remove the cover from flywheel the see if I could turn by hand but have to cut screw heads off. Always something. I'm more interested now so plan on dedicating time to this mower, which is very nice. It had always been garaged, and cleaned often. Any other suggestions where I might look? Seems like all possibles have been covered.

Mikel1

Threads
How exactly do you know battery is up to snuff because you had it on charger?

Regwal

Threads
How exactly do you know battery is up to snuff because you had it on charger?

A new battery plus checked with meter. #1 rule of a no start engine.

Lawn Addict
Threads
A new battery is no guarantee of a good battery, Volt meter is good. Load Test is best.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
You can do a makeshift load test with a voltmeter. Preferably with alligator clips but a manservant will do.

Watch the voltage as you crank the engine. If it drops below 10 volts or thereabouts, the battery is about to bite the dust.