40h777024e1 firing issue?

Rpgowned

Threads
Okay so I am having an issue where my engine is running extremely rich and when I kick on the mower it chugs and barely runs.

My first troubleshooting is that I replaced both plugs, didn't work.. so I also ended up replacing the carb and fuel pump only to after that didn't fix it, I noticed one of the brand new plugs (left) was sooted up already. So I unplugged that plug and the mower didn't start at all. Plugged the left back in and unplugged the right and it ran exactly as if both were plugged in. At this point my assumption was a bad ignition coil so I replaced the coil on that right side.

However, that also did not fix the issue. Runs like shit and very rich with the left side only and not at all with the right side only.

Any idea what else the problem could be?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the valve clearances on the right side. If they are within specs, which I doubt, I would then check for leaks between the carb and head. Either bad gaskets or cracked manifold. No problem there, blown head gasket. I’m assuming that you have already checked for spark after changing the coil.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Need to reset valve clearance. First check to see if the valve guides are sticking out close to the same length. Not that the guide on that one has migrated up.

Rpgowned

Threads
The top one also does not look straight not sure if that's normal. It bows upwards

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Picture if you can please.

Rpgowned

Threads
Picture if you can please.

It is touching the metal above.

Also, I have 0 idea what reset valve clearance means/how that is accomplished if that still matters. It looks like the lower is about 1/4 of an inch shorter(farther in) maybe a little more than the upper.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Looks to me like you have a bent push rod. Remove it and roll it on a very flat surface, will tell you very quickly if bent.

Rpgowned

Threads
Yeah, I can tell it's bent very easily by just looking at it. It's pretty drastic. So after I replace that is there anything else I should check that would have caused it to bend in the first place? Or would the fact that the bottom rod dislodged cause it to bend? I noticed the bottom rod that was off the bolt that was holding the rocker on was extremely loose so I'm guessing that's how that fell off. I opened the cover on the other side and one of those was fairly loose as well so I tightened that up.

Also the parts manual has both steel and aluminum. Which should I get? Or does it matter?

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I use aluminum for intake and steel for exhaust, but there are those who disagree with me. I suspect that your valve clearance changed on that valve causing it to jump and bend. I would be also checking and setting the clearance on both valves on the other side.