402777 0121 E1 Governor spring issue

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
18.5 Intek V twin

It runs wide open, with the throttle all the way down. Checked the gov. (3 times, everything turned clockwise then tightened) and it's adjusted properly. The springs are in their correct location (now) But still runs wide open.

The Throttle linkage, when the engine is off, should it return the throttle plate to the idle position? Because I'm thinking this make shift linkage is too short..
push the Gov arm and it'll idle down. But let go of it and it goes back to passed full throttle.

Also, with the engine off, and the throttle linkage connected or removed, the two springs in the back have no tension on them.

So, I made a longer Throttle rod and that helps a lot. But if you just let it idle, the PRM's creep up on their own. And giving it just 1/4 throttle, make the RPM's scream. Bringing the throttle back down, it comes down, but you still have to squeeze it the last little bit (1/16th of an inch) to the low idle position.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
First the model posted is invalid.

Second do you really understand how governors work? No the throttle shouldn't be close with engine not runnin but instead it should be wide open. When the engine is running the mechanical governor pushes the throttle close and the springs pulls it open. If you have adjusted the static adjustment and you not getting any push back from the governor then it has failed.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
407777 0121 E1.. Sorry bout that.

If the governor has failed, then how can I push the governor arm up, closing the throttle, and it idles down?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If it is staying put after you push to close the throttle then you have a bad bind in the linkages. Of course it is going the idle down when you close the throttle plate.

It governor is working you be able feel it pushing as you increase the engine speed to close the throttle plate.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
If it is staying put after you push to close the throttle then you have a bad bind in the linkages. Of course it is going the idle down when you close the throttle plate.

It governor is working you be able feel it pushing as you increase the engine speed to close the throttle plate.

Me thinks what you said about the governor failing may be accurate. Because if I give it just a little bit of throttle, it goes wide open. Also, if I close the throttle plate, with the throttle handle all the way to low idle. It'll stay at low idle for a few seconds. But will begin to rev up. And with the throttle plate only a 1/4 of the way open, it revs like the throttle is wide open.

I see what you're talking about turning the gov counter clockwise and the engine idling down. Simply because it connected to the throttle plate. With the throttle cable disconnected, I feel nothing binding at all. The springs on the back are all loose when the throttle plate is in low idle position. And it's not hard to turn the center piece (round thing that the small spring attaches to) of the control bracket. I can do it with just a little pressure and one finger.

When adjusting the governor, it's a dead stop both ways. at not even a 1/4 turn.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
With nothing that seems to be binding, and the engine still revving too high with the gov. adjusted, then the only thing it can be is a failed gov. Right?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Only one way left to find out and you know what that is. Just be careful and don't let any of that magic smoke escape.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Only one way left to find out and you know what that is. Just be careful and don't let any of that magic smoke escape.

By removing the gov spring, the engine should stay at idle, correct?

Magic smoke?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
By removing the gov spring, the engine should stay at idle, correct?

Yes it should stay idle or should go to idle whenever you release the throttle. Now if you put at full throttle with the springs off and it stays at full throttle the governor is toast.

Magic smoke?
Otherwords don't short things out or the wires and electronic will release their magic smoke. This magic smoke is what makes them work. Ever seen a diode or resistor that release it ever work again?[/quote][/QUOTE]

Last edited:

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yup, I disconnected the Gov. spring, and it went wide open.

I can't say I've ever seen one go bad. Although I've only been working on these things a few years, I've never seen a bad one. When replacing cams, I've had to removed these so, It's a pretty easy job, if you can get the crank pulley off easy enough.