$35 Auction find

Threads
Won at local auction for $35, non running. This is a model R8241, SN#824580509. Carburetor was dirty! Took apart and cleaned everything, starts and runs good, very solid. It came with a bagger system, extra attachment for bagger. Plan on using this as my trim mower for my small mowing business. It is super light and self propelled, moves along pretty good. The fuel tank leaks out of the shut off valve, I took apart and cleaned but no luck. I ordered the rubber gasket/spacer, hopefully this works. Also where can I find the plate for the deck when I don't want the bagger on? When I engage the blade, the engine almost dies, anyone have any advice for service on the blade clutch? Any advice in general about this mower would be appreciated. I am anxious to use it soon! Also, what fuel mix is best for these machines?

Thankyou!

Attachments

• 8241_1.jpg
    8241_1.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 8241_2.jpg
    8241_2.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 8241_3.jpg
    8241_3.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 30

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Nice find there. That block off plate is kind of a hard to get item these days. I made one for mine that also had the bagger deal on it. Not sure on the stalling deal but the carb might need adjusting? What type carb is on it? The governor deal and spring is an oddball setup, might also need to take a look at that. I just use lawn boy oil in their recommended mix. Most say the usual two stroke oil is not right for the lower rpm running mower engine.

Threads
Nice find there. That block off plate is kind of a hard to get item these days. I made one for mine that also had the bagger deal on it. Not sure on the stalling deal but the carb might need adjusting? What type carb is on it? The governor deal and spring is an oddball setup, might also need to take a look at that. I just use lawn boy oil in their recommended mix. Most say the usual two stroke oil is not right for the lower rpm running mower engine.

Not sure about carb # but it is black plastic, has the cork float which seemed to be really good, needle and seat looked good, main jet was removed and cleaned. I didn't run very long as the shutoff valve leaks so I didn't put much fuel in it. Also the fuel I put in was 50:1 Red Max oil I use for my blowers and trimmers. So I didn't want to run much of that until I knew what I should be running. What did you use for material for your plate?

Thank you.

Threads
Check the fuel hose - the one i found last week was dripping "there" also. It turned out to be the hose needed replacement.

I had the tank off so I could remove and clean that gasket/area. So no hoses connected and it definitely drips from that valve. hoping the $1.37 gasket fixes it! I'm also changing the hoses anyway, they are old. I appreciate your input!

Mow'N Weeds

Threads
Is that a 19-inch? 19" mulch plates are tough to come by.
I more recently bought an 80's 5253 19-inch pusher with the 4.0 F that looks just like that. It only came with a discharge plate. I inquired about a mulch plate, but the guy hesitated and said he didn't have one. I personally think he did, but didn't wanna sell it with the mower. After we talked a while, he showed me a couple older LBs he was working on, so that's why I have a feeling he was harboring a mulch plate for it, lol. At any rate, I'm the mulch-type, so I wanted a plate to work with this one. I asked around and was told that a 21" mulch plate would work on it.. Well those I have, so I took a 21" mulch plate normally sold with mid-90's/early '00 models and installed it with great hopes.. only to find out it still doesn't fit right and work, there's still an opening so it's not fully blocked off. So, defeated I re-installed the discharge plate. Then I came across a couple older 21" LBs on CL that I picked up, one a 4.0 F like these, and the other with a 4.5 F. Both came complete with side discharge plates, mulch plates, and side bagger setup. For the hell of it I decided to try one of the mulch plates from these mowers on the little 19", and it fit! This is the style plate that worked with it, so this may be a style that will work on yours, and again it was from a 21" and fit fine. I think the PN might be 609806. I'd have to look on it to be certain though.

Attachments

• Mow-N-Mulch cover.jpg
    Mow-N-Mulch cover.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 8
Threads
Is that a 19-inch? 19" mulch plates are tough to come by.
I more recently bought an 80's 5253 19-inch pusher with the 4.0 F that looks just like that. It only came with a discharge plate. I inquired about a mulch plate, but the guy hesitated and said he didn't have one. I personally think he did, but didn't wanna sell it with the mower. After we talked a while, he showed me a couple older LBs he was working on, so that's why I have a feeling he was harboring a mulch plate for it, lol. At any rate, I'm the mulch-type, so I wanted a plate to work with this one. I asked around and was told that a 21" mulch plate would work on it.. Well those I have, so I took a 21" mulch plate normally sold with mid-90's/early '00 models and installed it with great hopes.. only to find out it still doesn't fit right and work, there's still an opening so it's not fully blocked off. So, defeated I re-installed the discharge plate. Then I came across a couple older 21" LBs on CL that I picked up, one a 4.0 F like these, and the other with a 4.5 F. Both came complete with side discharge plates, mulch plates, and side bagger setup. For the hell of it I decided to try one of the mulch plates from these mowers on the little 19", and it fit! This is the style plate that worked with it, so this may be a style that will work on yours, and again it was from a 21" and fit fine. I think the PN might be 609806. I'd have to look on it to be certain though.

It's Actually a 24". That might even be harder to come by! I have a part number 957052 for the non mulching plate, $17 on amazon, I might have to go that route.

Mow'N Weeds

Threads
It's Actually a 24". That might even be harder to come by! I have a part number 957052 for the non mulching plate, $17 on amazon, I might have to go that route.
21-inch* .. Looked after I posted, instead of before I posted, must be Monday, lol.