345 JD Liquid 20 HP has a Skip

racecar1854

Forum Newbie
Threads
2000 345 JD I own started skipping in the spring only when not under load. While mowing no skip. How ever this last week the skip got bad at all times. I pulled the left plug wire while running barely made a difference. I pulled the plug, it was black and only maybe a month old. Put a new plug in and skip was still there but useable. So I assumed a bad coil. Replaced the coil and cap with JD Denso and I ran great for about a half hour then the skip came back. It doesn't smoke or use oil. 1400 hrs Is it a lean skip or something else ?? Thx New Member

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Get 2 inline neon spark testers and install them with NEW plugs and see if one cylinder has an ignition problem.
Run leakdown test on both cylinders.
Don't know what engine you have but if nonhydraulic lifters adjust the valves.
Gives you a starting point. If none of these tests show a problem the most likely a fuel delivery issue or intake air leak.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OR remove the kill wires from the magneto coils and see if the problem goes away
NOTE this is for diagnosis only as you are relying on the very unreliable carb solenoid to stop the engine which makes it a danger to you and everyone near you.
LEt us know what happens.
THE JD tech manual is worth 10 times what JD ask for it
Suggesting you get a copy is the best help you will ever get from any forum .
If you have the twin barrel carb then you have individual idle & high speed jets for each side
If one side has come loose then the engine can flood on one side

javjacob

Threads
It could be a dirty carburetor.