327kw Clutch wont engage

banshee350

Threads
I have had this problem where when you pull the pto switch the blades dont always engage. Sometimes they will after a short delay other times I just keep trying the pto switch until they engage. When it is running with the blades off it shows 12v on the gage. This time after mowing for about an hour I noticed the volt gage reading just below 12v. If you turn the clutch off it wont always engage the blades. After I turned the mower off and tried to restart the battery seemed dead. I am used to having an altanator like my 321d and this is the first mower I have had that uses a stator for charging. the battery is a couple of years old. Not sure where to start,

replace with a new battery
replace pto switch
replace voltage regulator
Replace mower clutch

any suggestions?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It would help enormously if you posted the engine make & model number of the engine.
Mowers have internal perminent magnet alternators that work almost the same as external ones electrically.

Incorrect text removed

And remember that the rectifier body is the ground contact.
Some mowers mount it to the plastic blower housing which means it needs a ground strap which often break

Pull the PTO plug out and have a look for broken terminals or wires that have broken at the crimp or excessive corrosion.
Most PTO switches work on the ground side so the Clutch plug will have 12V at the power terminal but no continuity to ground on the other terminal till the PTO switch is activated.
Also check both ends of the Battery leads
The ground straps come loose or suffer from corrosion where they bolt onto the mower

Last edited:

banshee350

Threads
It is a water cooled Kawasaki 27 hp fd750d. The mower is a grasshopper mid mount 327kw. I will look and see if there is a ground strap loose or broken.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Bert the Kawasaki FD750D engine does not use a center tapped stator; therefore, there is no readable AC between either stator lead and ground.. The stator windings basically are floating ungrounded you are mistaken about being able to get 15 VAC to ground.

IF regulated voltage is correct with the engine electrical system running unload. IE PTO off. I would checking excessive current of the electric PTO clutch. These pull a max of 7 amps but I have seen partially shorted ones to pull up to 20 amps and still operate but out tax the electrical system. Most PTO field coils should a resistance reading of 1.7 Ω or more.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for that
I shall go back & remove incorrect posting