3200z Wont start

Kb2112

Threads
Hi all, new member here.

My neighbor has a stock Ferris 3200z that wont run. He is not very mechanically inclined, so he asked me to have a look at it.

Situation:
It was running for approximately an hour, when he got off the mower to move some rocks and stuff out of the way (like he has has several times before) the mower shut off. When he sat back down to try and start it, it wouldnt even turn over.

Ive tested the seat, ignition, PTO, and brake switches. All are good. It has 195 hours on the clock, and he has it serviced annually. Its not a commercial machine.

Oil and fuel levels are good (for oil cut off questions). The battery tested tested 12.XX volts going into the starter solenoid. Mind you the motor was running just before it shut off.

When the PTO is off, the starter solenoid buzzes, with the PTO on it seems to engage the starter but the motor doesn't turn over. All of the fuses are good.

To me it sounds like some sort of safety switch... JMHO

He's a good family man, and Id like to help him out.
Im out of ideas...

Thank you in advance

Kb

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And please don't post multiple threads.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That why I typed Please. Not trying to be pain.

It just that different advice can be post in different threads and can lead to confusion on everyone's part. It is just like trying to deal with multiple posters with different problems hijacking a thread.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
1.Try cracking the gas cap and see if it fires off.
2.Check for spark. Gap an old plug to 1/4" wide. Spark should be a nice blue color.
3.Check for good fuel flow at carb. Remove fuel line and drain into a glass jar. Crank key couple times. Should pulsate or gravity flow.
4.Double check safety switches.
5.Air filter plugged up? One can plug a filter in a couple mowings. Disregard the 195 hour useless figure. Check everything over.

Kb2112

Threads
Sorry about the double post. I had too many windows open, and wasnt wearing my glasses LOL.

GetTechnicalWithJd

Threads
Hi all, new member here.

My neighbor has a stock Ferris 3200z that wont run. He is not very mechanically inclined, so he asked me to have a look at it.

Situation:
It was running for approximately an hour, when he got off the mower to move some rocks and stuff out of the way (like he has has several times before) the mower shut off. When he sat back down to try and start it, it wouldnt even turn over.

Ive tested the seat, ignition, PTO, and brake switches. All are good. It has 195 hours on the clock, and he has it serviced annually. Its not a commercial machine.

Oil and fuel levels are good (for oil cut off questions). The battery tested tested 12.XX volts going into the starter solenoid. Mind you the motor was running just before it shut off.

When the PTO is off, the starter solenoid buzzes, with the PTO on it seems to engage the starter but the motor doesn't turn over. All of the fuses are good.

To me it sounds like some sort of safety switch... JMHO

He's a good family man, and Id like to help him out.
Im out of ideas...

Thank you in advance

Kb

I'd have a look at the PTO switch first.

Attachments

• Ferris IS3200Z Cranking  5105535B.png
    Ferris IS3200Z Cranking 5105535B.png
    615.8 KB · Views: 6

Kb2112

Threads
Thank you. The PTO switch tested good. The mower is still under warranty, so he didn’t want me to dig too far into things. The dealership picked it up yesterday.

rj45

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had a similar situation with my old Simplicity ZT mower - the battery showed 12.6V, but the engine wouldn't turn over normally. The starter would just barely turn and/or the solenoid would click/buzz, so I figured one or the other was fried. I took it in for service and it turned out that it actually was the battery. Though it showed 12.6V, it failed under load (I didn't have a battery load tester at the time). New battery installed and it started normally.

Last edited: