30" Murray RE wont move

murrayman381

Threads
Model 13AC26JD058 made in 2015 B&S 10.5 engine.
Went to mow the yard today, started right up but blades wouldn't engage with height set 5. Lowered it to 4, same result. When I lowered it to 3, blades engaged. With mower running and blades engaged I raised deck to 4 and it was all good. Just finished backyard and was going to front when mower quit moving. It appears that all the belts are still there and and in correct position. I'm thinking the transmission may have cratered on me. Any ideas?
Mower didn't make any strange noises. Thanks in advance for any help y'all can give me.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
See pages 6 & 7 in Manual above making sure belts & idler pulleys are attached & in good shape.
See Operators Manual for Drive Belt part # 954-05001 page 32 & make sure to grease deck spindle part # 918-04822A & make sure spindle turns by hand.

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would start by removing the deck, jack up the rear end and with the transmission in gear turn the large pulley by hand see if the wheels turn faster and slower as you change gears. Check the belt tensioner, making sure in tightens the belt properly when releasing the clutch pedal. What is the condition of the drive belt and when was the last time it was changed?

murrayman381

Threads
After digging into mower a little deeper it turns out the ground drive belt, 95404331, had shredded and was being held on by 3 or 4 cords. Had to take a bunch of crap off to even see it. Should it be changed from underneath or up top?
Thanks for the help, Tom

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It did not shred for the fun of it.
Usually a belt shreds because it is rubbing against some thing that it should not or a pulley is not turning
Check it all unless you want to become the neighbourhood expert in replacing these belts

murrayman381

Threads
All the pulleys seem fine, spin freely and no wobble in them. The belt was 6 1/2 years old.
Thank y'all for the tips. Spent 3 1/2 hours screwing with it today and still don't have new belt on. Will give it another go tomorrow. Got it from a long time friend who died and his widow gave it to me, thinking Richard put a curse on it and he's looking down and laughing at me. RIP Richard
Tom

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
be sure there are no burs in the V grooves of the pulley.
R.I.P to your friend.