3 Speed Transmission, HRR216TDA

FWM

Forum Newbie
Threads
New in 2004, use on a 5/8 acre yard, cut once / week during growing season and twice / week to mulch leaves. Disengaging the drive to pull the mower back the rear wheels are very difficult to roll backward. When I first get it out of the storage shed the rear wheels WILL NOT roll backward - rolls forward easily - it is only after using the drive system to mow for about 15 - 30 minutes that I can back up with much resistance. I have looked at the transmission for a way to lubricate; can find no information on changing gear lube, and understand that R&R of the transmission is fairly expensive. Anyone have a similar problem or make suggestions?

I need to get new cutting blades for next summer, and have read that the "Gator" high lift cutting / mulching blade (one instead of two) does a great job. Any thoughts?

Threads
WELCOME TO LMF!
I have the same mower, and also the same problem. Have you checked to make sure there is no debris stuck in between the tires? On mine, I use my blower to get all the grass out from there and it helps, but still is a little hard to pull backwards. I have not done anything else. I have heard a lot of good things about Gator Blades, but I do not use them. I bag a lot in the fall, and it would be a pain to have to switch the blades then. I think the Gator Blades would decrease the performance if you are bagging. But if you mulch all the time like it sounds like you do, they would be a good thing to get.
Good luck and :welcome:.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Gator blades are the best to mulch with. But not good to bag with. They are made to keep the grass under the deck. Why anyone would bag when you can use gator blades and turn everything into dust I don't know.
Mulching is so much better for the grass

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Inspect the area in/around the transmission and make sure there's no debris or clippings interfering with the control arm, cable, etc.

Next, check the freeplay in the drive clutch lever; here's the procedure (attached).

Attachments

• hrr216 sda s3da tda drive clutch lever freeplay.jpg
    hrr216 sda s3da tda drive clutch lever freeplay.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 96

FWM

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the three responses:
'Lawn Mower Fanatic' - yes, clean between wheels and deck after each use. I always mulch, much easier, less time and 'feeds' the lawn.
'Carscw' - Thanks for the vote for Gator Blade and agree with mulching.
'Robert@Honda' - Thanks for the procedure, I'll check that the first chance I get and let you know. Also I have already checked for debris by removing the steel plate protecting the drive belt and upper portion of transmission - a lot of packed dry grass and stuff - but did not make any difference.

msc

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have one seems it it won't disengage the clutch, Opened the training w/o removing it from the machine thinking it had bad grease but now they put motor oil in there!

Hard to split the trainy , the liquid gasket they use is like glue! Clutch lever on the top off the trainy is very dificult to move , there is noway the cable with the spring on it can do anything.

Next, check the freeplay in the drive clutch lever; here's the procedure (attached).[/QUOTE]

2bonnies

Forum Newbie
Threads
seems like a lot of problems with the hrr216k2tda transmissiions....is there really a replacement transmission for this mower?