3 BROKEN BELTS.

Double Leg1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Really need some HELP. My 50" Cub Deck has broken 3 very expensive Deck Belts in the past 3 weeks. Previous to the belt that just broke, I took it to a repair shop. Worked exactly 2 weeks to the day and today it cut the belt but obviously frayed it before it broke. Belt showed 2 other spots not far from the breakage that had frayed and cut a little. The deck is 6 years old, but like new. HELP PLEASE. Thank You, Double Leg 1. Oh, yes, my repairman removed the deck but could not find the reason. It happens and I understand.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
50" deck can be of several different mowers. We need the model from the serial number tag for starters. Also a picture of the belt may help too.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pictures of the belt will tell us how it failed
Then we need to look for the why for that type of failure .
Also what you are mowing
Lots of trees drop nuts that will eat a belt if they get between the belt & pulley.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
I'm going to move this thread over to our Cub Cadet section.
You should find more advice over there :)

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Really need some HELP. My 50" Cub Deck has broken 3 very expensive Deck Belts in the past 3 weeks. Previous to the belt that just broke, I took it to a repair shop. Worked exactly 2 weeks to the day and today it cut the belt but obviously frayed it before it broke. Belt showed 2 other spots not far from the breakage that had frayed and cut a little. The deck is 6 years old, but like new. HELP PLEASE. Thank You, Double Leg 1. Oh, yes, my repairman removed the deck but could not find the reason. It happens and I understand.
Just saying 50" cub deck don't help much. Like going to the parts house and asking for an air filter for you car and when they ask what it is you say a Chevrolet. Model and serial no,

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Also would to know if you are install OEM or after market belts and what their PN are. Plus images of the fail belts will help in diagnosing the problem.

efred

Threads
When you get a new belt on it, look at the belt layout; I have a 48" on an old 2165 mower, and I discovered that the two outer pulleys we're almost a inch lower than the drive pulley, causing the belt to dive between the pulley and swing arm, cutting the belt. The CC mechanic and I determined that if I flipped the two outer pulleys over, it would correct the problem, and it did. That was over 22 years ago. Hope this helps.

Joed756

Threads
Also would to know if you are install OEM or after market belts and what their PN are. Plus images of the fail belts will help in diagnosing the problem.
I buy ALL of my belts from NAPA and never ever have a problem. I'm not even sure what OEM belts means. Cub Cadet certainly doesn't have a factory churning out v-belts. I swear by NAPA.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Cub belts are not standard A or B section nor are they standard full inch length .
OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturere.
Some times you can be lucky but running standard section belts causes the pulleys to wear excessively.
It all comes down to how you mow & what you mow but all things being equal an OEM belt should give better wear & performance than a std section belt of not quite the right size .
Then there is the size position & number of reinforcement fibres

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
I buy ALL of my belts from NAPA and never ever have a problem. I'm not even sure what OEM belts means. Cub Cadet certainly doesn't have a factory churning out v-belts. I swear by NAPA.
You are possibly wrong, as MTD owns Cub. MTD designs thier belts wioth a different bevel than standard belts. Cub parts may or may not conform to standards or MTD design belts. Also OEM belts may have different cording weave or more cords or different material for better grip or more strength. OEM is not always better, but often is fractional length rather than a whole number of inches. Additionally, many deck belts are longer than any nominal standard which are often limited to 99" long.