2518 issue cub

Ebowen

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2518 cub cadet that I'm having electric pto issue and starter issue. My problem with the pto clutch is it will only engage sometimes and if the mower is hot the clutch will not engage until it cools off. My starter solenoid problem is when I go to start the mower hot or cold it will click every time I turn the key after a few turns it will crank. Is this just a battery issue or do I need to replace the pto clutch and or solenoid?

scott47429

Threads
sounds like the starter could be bad but when you go to start it put a test light on the wire to the starter and when you hit the key see if it lights up if so the sol. is working if not then needs replaced and if the PTO is not engaging until its cool sounds like the coil inside it is getting hot and shorting out so it needs to be replaced but once again check to see if its getting power when its hot if so it needs replaced good luck im sure there are others that can give better advise

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to these Forums...
Your particular problem is common with all electrical systems, and is usually the result of a restive connection.
Check actual voltage at the starter, You may have enough to light a lamp... but Not enough to do the job required. (compare the voltage you measure with the voltage at the battery.
Check cable connections and especially all Grounds. Any corrosion Or loose connections will cause voltage drops... you can check the solenoid for voltage drop by measuring across the Large terminals While engaging the starter.
Check the connectors at the clutch, any voltage drop will negatively affect it's operation. :smile:KennyV

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you have the adjustable electric clutch, which is the one with the three nuts with springs above them, it may need adjusted. Next to each bolt is a slot, put a .012 feeler gauge between the driver disc, and the driven disc and adjust evenly till you get the correct clearance. That may solve the clutch problem.