245R brushcutter spins clockwise

kolfsr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi iam new here i have a quistion regarding my brusch cutter
For some reason it spins clockwise trowing the trimmer head off what can be the problem?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bent shaft spin one way & strait shafts spin the other because the bevel gear at the end reverses the spin direction.
So some heads undo clockwise and some undo counter clockwise
If it is new take it back
If it is used then pull the shaft apart and see what travesty has been inflicted .
Some cheaper trimmers I have seen here use a LH to RH arbour and loctite rather than making 2 different shaft ends

kolfsr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thankyou for your reply. If i understood correctly i need to take of the shaft and take a look at the rod in the center if something is lose? Sorry my english is not that good. Btw it is a straight shaft

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Is it a new unit or a second hand unit ?
If new take it back
AFAIK all trimmer power heads spin clockwise looking from the operators end
Bent shaft trimmers just have a flexiable wire from the clutch to the head so their heads spin clockwise which means that the cutting head screws on counter clockwise so it tightens in use
Strait shafts have a bevel gear on the end that reverses the direction so they have cutting heads that screw on clockwise so they tighten in use
Thus some heads are left hand threads and others are right hand threads
However used equipment sellers so all sorts of naughty things to get cheaper bent shaft parts to work on strait shaft trimmers
And your english is quite fine
If I have said some thing you do not understand then get back & I will try to make it clearer

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I think you are wrong on this one. This appears to be one of the few that rotates CCW.
1685448196603.png

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You might be right there Star and that would explain the problem
If some one has fitted a replacement bevel gear then it would have the wrong handed thread on the drive .

Kolfsr
When did you by this brushcutter ?
I think it has been repaired using the wrong parts
The 2 shafts inside the head (502 22 26-01 ) are obsolete and the honest web sites list them as "no longer available"
As this model dates from 1988 to 2000 that is probably right

IF some one replaced the shafts with ones for a normal brushcutter or just fitted a universal bevel drive then the thread on the end of the blade will go the wrong way so in use the nut will undo

I do not think you can fix it unless you can find a bevel gearbox from another trimmer where the engine spins backwards (counter clockwise )
Sorry to bear bad news .

You might get by by using 2 x 1/2 width nuts so there is a lock nut preventing it loosening or drilling a hole through the nut & shaft and fitting a roll pin.

kolfsr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for your responses. I bought is used indeed. What i understand is that i have to find the original gearhead, is that correct? It could be that there is a aftermarket one on it now i am not sure. I thought the engine was spinning back ward 😃. I noticed that in deed the startrope is on the right side and my other trimmers all are on the left. I glued the head with loctie it works but i dont think it is save. I will check the part number you send thank you

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes Kolfsr you need to find a head or gears for an engine that spins the same way as yours
The other alternative is to put the shaft & head from a bent stem trimmer on it but if you do then it can only run string and no blades .
You might find either a head or shaft set in the EU as old shelf stock in a dealer or engine repair shop ,
All of the honest web sites , that check is a part is available from the warehouse list it as obsolete - NLA - Out of Stock etc
The ones I know are dishonest who take my money then put an order on a warehouse list it as " ships in 2 to 4 weeks "
Good luck .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
What is need is to figure if the threading is LH or RH. Owners manual indicates LH with nylon lock appears to be wrong info as it appear to RH that would tighten on the bevel gear set.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What is need is to figure if the threading is LH or RH. Owners manual indicates LH with nylon lock but just seems wrong for the current rotation scheme.
Yes I saw that too M12 x 1.75 LH & the image of the 250R looked like it had a left side pull starter so I though that series may have gone both ways
but checking the IPL's for all of the other trimmers in that series confirmed the all spin backwards
But the part number is a RH nut so probably a mistake in the owners manual
To me it looks like the big H has excess of chain saw pull starters so did a series of trimmers that spin backwards to get rid of them .