22HP Briggs & Stratton Vtwin burnt oily plugs, oil in valve cover

Ericci85

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 22HP Briggs & Stratton Vtwin burnt oily plugs, oil in valve cover
Hello all,

New to the small engine repair world. I have a Husqvarna YTH22V46 with Briggs Twin engine. Noticed hard running at full or high throttle during last cut. Normal running while at mid to low throttle. Let it cool and tried to start up again and noticed bit of white smoke at start up.

Checked the spark plugs and valves. Both plugs burnt black and fuel side plug had oil on it. Pulled valve covers and found oil in exhaust side. I'm speculating this is not normal and likely the result of a blown gasket. Assuming it would be the head gasket. I've watched the videos seems straightforward a repair. Just wanna make sure I'm not overlooking something else? Also, if anyone knows the easiest way to check the timing on these engines I'd appreciate the info, thanks!

Ericci

LOVIE012

Forum Newbie
Threads
Corley Engine and Mower. 770 476-7215
Authorized Briggs and Stratton Diamond Dealer
Model. Type and code of engine.
can’t confirm head gasket.
pretty sure you should check crank case vacuum
Or bring it in we have a lot of experience with V Twin
Master Service Technicians for B&S

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like a blown head gasket to me. If you are going to attempt this yourself I would take the time to do both, as you will have most parts disassembled to do one. If you post all engine numbers and a couple of pictures of the engine, I’ll see if I can find a service manual for you.