223--Multiple Issues & need tips

dmthomas

Forum Newbie
Threads
**I'm a complete mower/mechanic newbie so please be patient**

I was gifted a hand-me-down 2012 GH 223 with just over 2,000 hours on it and I've run into a couple issues:
  1. It has been having trouble starting--replaced "fuel pump" and filter. When I blow the line from the gas tank to the filter it starts right away.
  2. Left hydraulic (pump?--not sure what to call it) is leaking where it is bolted to the frame. Any idea how I can stop/slow down significantly the leak?
Any other tips/advice on maintaining the mower, including tools to invest in etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Born2Mow

Threads
You've got an issue with fuel flow. When you disconnect the fuel hose from the carb, then a full diameter stream should shoot out of the fuel line, if the tank is held above the carb. You'll want to check over the entire fuel system...
  • Breathers inside the fuel cap get clogged with ethanol scum. Try to breathe thru the cap.
  • Fuel tanks collect crud in the bottom
  • Fuel hose can collapse internally... replace with SAE J30 rated automotive fuel hose
  • Fuel filters get clogged (I see you replaced that already)
  • Replace the vacuum line that operates the vacuum fuel pump. Those hoses can start to leak, thus pumping less fuel. Use the same type hose as the fuel hose.
Hope this helps.