21 Rebel Deck Hangers

ba71371

Forum Newbie
Threads
I purchased a 21 Bad Boy Rebel 61" a few weeks ago. So far love the mower. I don't do commercial mowing just have a large place to keep up so I went with a commercial model. Anyways, does anyone have a rebel that can look and see if it's slack in the deck hanger bolts? I'm just wondering if this is intentional for the deck to float. My deck hangers are loose, but the bolts have lock nuts so I don't see where it hurts anything. Just want to know if this is intentional from the factory or if I need to figure out a way to tighten them up? Thanks for any help.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I purchased a 21 Bad Boy Rebel 61" a few weeks ago. So far love the mower. I don't do commercial mowing just have a large place to keep up so I went with a commercial model. Anyways, does anyone have a rebel that can look and see if it's slack in the deck hanger bolts? I'm just wondering if this is intentional for the deck to float. My deck hangers are loose, but the bolts have lock nuts so I don't see where it hurts anything. Just want to know if this is intentional from the factory or if I need to figure out a way to tighten them up? Thanks for any help.
One of the first things to do after a mower purchase is to level and pitch your mower deck. I have never bought a mower where the deck was set up correctly. Look on page 29 of the operators manual. The only bolts that you loosen and adjust are the bolts attaching the deck frame to the deck hanger.
The deck is supposed to float on the hangers. Look at the picture on page 29. You see the slot in the hanger. As the mower goes over uneven ground, the deck wheels will make ground contact and the deck is allowed to rise in those slots. The adjustment is done on the lower bolts, where the hanger mounts to the deck.

Last edited:

ba71371

Forum Newbie
Threads
One of the first things to do after a mower purchase is to level and pitch your mower deck. I have never bought a mower where the deck was set up correctly. Look on page 29 of the operators manual. The only bolts that you loosen and adjust are the bolts attaching the deck frame to the deck hanger.
The deck is supposed to float on the hangers. Look at the picture on page 29. You see the slot in the hanger. As the mower goes over uneven ground, the deck wheels will make ground contact and the deck is allowed to rise in those slots. The adjustment is done on the lower bolts, where the hanger mounts to the deck.
Thank you for this information. I checked out page 29, and it seems to me the top bolt on the deck hanger should have slack to let the deck float, but the bottom bolt that bolts to the deck should be tight for the leveling purpose. Mines floating on top and bottom, which I’m guessing will not allow me to level it. Does that sound correct?

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thank you for this information. I checked out page 29, and it seems to me the top bolt on the deck hanger should have slack to let the deck float, but the bottom bolt that bolts to the deck should be tight for the leveling purpose. Mines floating on top and bottom, which I’m guessing will not allow me to level it. Does that sound correct?
Do exactly as is outlined in the operators manual. Don’t mess with the upper bolts. Loosen all four lower nuts and bolts (where the deck bolts to the hanger brackets). to do your adjustment. Once you have the deck adjustment dialed in, tighten all four lower nuts and bolts (where the deck mounts to the hanger brackets). The deck is supposed to float on the upper bolts. The slot in the lower deck mount is where the adjustment is made and should be tight. There should be no movement at the four deck points (lower) after adjustment.
If you follow the instructions, you shouldn’t have a problem. If you still have concerns about it, take it back to your dealer and have them do it. The deck SHOULD NOT float in the lower slots.

Last edited:

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Maybe this can explain it a little better.
Once you get the lower bolts loose, you can manipulate the actuator or foot pedal without lifting the deck. This will confirm that the deck is indeed resting on the 2x4s. Now, torque down the lower bolts.

Last edited: