2021 Bad Boy Rogue's

Mower King

Threads
Just a heads up!.....if you own a 2021 BB Rogue, check with your Dealer about having the pump pulley keys and keyways checked for correct size key and tightness of set screws......you're welcome!

Last edited:

HunterTR

Threads
Hello - found this post and wanted to see if you had any more info to share. I have a 2021 bb rogue 61" kawasaki 999. 40 hours on it. The left pump pulley failed a week ago. The center of the pulley hollowed out and fell off. Dealer is an hour away so I just ordered a new pulley, key, bolt, etc and replaced it. Thought it may have just been loose from factory and the bolt fell out. Ran the mower for an hour and the right side encountered the exact same issue. It happened while sitting on my concrete driveway, so I recovered all the parts, including the key. Its now obvious to me that this is a parts or design flaw. The key/groove doesn't hold up (possibly the cast iron pulley is too soft) and will eventually fail. Taking it to the dealer tomorrow. I love the mower, but I'm not up for replacing these parts every 3-4 months..... Hoping bad boy has a permanent fix for this.

Mower King

Threads
Hello - found this post and wanted to see if you had any more info to share. I have a 2021 bb rogue 61" kawasaki 999. 40 hours on it. The left pump pulley failed a week ago. The center of the pulley hollowed out and fell off. Dealer is an hour away so I just ordered a new pulley, key, bolt, etc and replaced it. Thought it may have just been loose from factory and the bolt fell out. Ran the mower for an hour and the right side encountered the exact same issue. It happened while sitting on my concrete driveway, so I recovered all the parts, including the key. Its now obvious to me that this is a parts or design flaw. The key/groove doesn't hold up (possibly the cast iron pulley is too soft) and will eventually fail. Taking it to the dealer tomorrow. I love the mower, but I'm not up for replacing these parts every 3-4 months..... Hoping bad boy has a permanent fix for this.
If you bought it from a dealership, take it back to them and let them look at it, that "should" be a warranty repair......I have repaired a few (under warranty) before they came apart!
It is not so much a design flaw, as it is an assembly flaw!

HunterTR

Threads
If you bought it from a dealership, take it back to them and let them look at it, that "should" be a warranty repair......I have repaired a few (under warranty) before they came apart!
It is not so much a design flaw, as it is an assembly flaw!
Thanks for the info. Any more details on what the specific issue is? Wondering if I need to be concerned about the side I already replaced (using mfr replacement parts I ordered online).

Mower King

Threads
Thanks for the info. Any more details on what the specific issue is? Wondering if I need to be concerned about the side I already replaced (using mfr replacement parts I ordered online).
If you bought it new, take it to the Dealership you bought it from, let them deal with it.....Bad Boys have a 2yr warranty

BigBlueEdge

Threads

The issue is that a batch of Rogues were built with pump pulley/spindle keys that were of the wrong size. The result is that depending on how they were installed the pulley set screw doesn't contact the key correctly and the pulley may come loose. There is a TSB for it from Bad Boy and if you take your unit back to the dealer they can check and repair for free.

Rob

Attachments

• Bad Boy TSB - 6_23_21_Rogue_Pump_Pulley_TSB.pdf
    294 KB · Views: 8

BigBlueEdge

Threads

It's not a problem with the spindle or the material. The wrong sized key is what caused things to fail and get damaged. Get the key replaced and it will be a permanent fix. Since your unit has damage they might have to warranty the whole pump to replace the spindle now.

Mower King

Threads
The issue is that a batch of Rogues were built with pump pulley/spindle keys that were of the wrong size. The result is that depending on how they were installed the pulley set screw doesn't contact the key correctly and the pulley may come loose. There is a TSB for it from Bad Boy and if you take your unit back to the dealer they can check and repair for free.

Rob
I have seen them with, the right size key, just not tightened to spec.....not my tightened spec anyway!

HunterTR

Threads
Thanks for all the great info - I appreciate it

lugbolt

Threads
seen a lot more than that

they're built by people and sometimes mistakes happen. Thats what warranty is for (defects). If everything was perfect a warranty would not be needed and would save companies billions potentially making our equipment less expensive. Having been down their assembly line a few times I have seen the workers and how they work. Some of them have zero mechanical abilities so they're just along for the ride. Some have great pride in their work and it shows. I know of one who started as an assembly line worker at minimum wage, and while on the line one day he asked the boss if a certain task could be done differently to save time. Boss said keep doing it this way and we'll talk later. Later comes and the big boss got involved, and they changed the entire assembly line which eliminated 4 tasks, moved that worker to a different position within the company with a better paycheck and dropped the cost of the machine build.

on another brand, it was always something. Keys missing, screws loose, missing bolts, wrong blades (seen quite a few that had 48" blades on a 54" deck, and a few 54 blades on 60 decks), wrong belts, bent decks, transmissions falling completely out, frames breaking/cracking, engines falling off, I mean this stuff happens and most people never see/hear of it but again, people made these things so they're not gonna be perfect.