2020 XT2 runs rough and stalls after mowing for an hour

cubbyjunior

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 2020 XT2 runs rough and stalls after mowing for an hour
I have a 2020 cub cadet xt2 lx46,with just over 100 hours on it. Several times now it gets sluggish and almost stalls on me after cutting grass for about an hour. It starts to run unevenly and if I stop and turn the blades off it recovers briefly. If I continue to mow, it will stall out.

If I shut it off and let it sit (cool down?) for 10 minutes or so, it starts up and I can continue mowing.

At first I thought it might be a fuel issue, but I replaced the fuel filter, and it's happened with different tanks of gas (I only use gasoline without ethanol). I also recently replaced the air filter. I'm going to pull the spark plugs and probably replace them.

What do you think is the problem, and what should I check?

Joed756

Threads
I think you have a very small (for now) crack in your plug insulator(s). Everything is fine until the plug grows enough from heat to open that crack and cause the spark to jump out of the insulator to ground. I've seen this happen with automotive plugs many times.

cubbyjunior

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think you have a very small (for now) crack in your plug insulator(s). Everything is fine until the plug grows enough from heat to open that crack and cause the spark to jump out of the insulator to ground. I've seen this happen with automotive plugs many times.
Hmm. By "plug insulator" do you mean the spark plug cable? I've never heard of a plug insulator.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Spark plugs have 2 insulating regions
The white bit under the electrode cap you put the spark cap on and the cone on the inside that surrounds the centre electrode
If the bit inside the engine cracks then the spark will go through the crack rather than jump across the gap
Electricity is even lazier than I am and always goes along the easiest path
A new plug is only a couple of dollars and if it makes no difference then you have a spare sitting on the shelf for the next service .
Usually your symptoms are due to a partially blocked fuel line or blocked fuel line outlet in the tank.
However that usually only becomes a problem after a few years as it take a while for the crud to build up inside
However I have seen things in tanks like used condoms . plastic bags, the old price tag from the shop ( obviously annoyed the sales person ) .
Then their is over helpful small children who will put all sorts of stuff in a fuel tank to "help daddy"

cubbyjunior

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK. Now I understand. I'm going to go ahead and replace both spark plugs when I get home on Thursday. Thanks for the tip.

DaveTN

Threads
Spark plugs have 2 insulating regions
The white bit under the electrode cap you put the spark cap on and the cone on the inside that surrounds the centre electrode
If the bit inside the engine cracks then the spark will go through the crack rather than jump across the gap
Electricity is even lazier than I am and always goes along the easiest path
A new plug is only a couple of dollars and if it makes no difference then you have a spare sitting on the shelf for the next service .
Usually your symptoms are due to a partially blocked fuel line or blocked fuel line outlet in the tank.
However that usually only becomes a problem after a few years as it take a while for the crud to build up inside
However I have seen things in tanks like used condoms . plastic bags, the old price tag from the shop ( obviously annoyed the sales person ) .
Then their is over helpful small children who will put all sorts of stuff in a fuel tank to "help daddy"
Man is that aggravating trying to track down a crack in a plug. LOL @ Electricity being lazier than you or me. True!
I found a rag floating inside a gas tank on an old 8N Ford Tractor once. Start it up fine, run it about 10 or 15 minutes
and then it would start to starve out and die. Shut it off for 15 minutes, take a break, start it back up and same thing. And Welcome to the LMF cubby!

cubbyjunior

Forum Newbie
Threads
Checking Back in. I replaced both spark plugs and have used the mower three times and it seems to be running fine. So, even though the spark plugs weren't scheduled to be replaced yet due to hours, I believe new ones fixed the issue.

I ended up buying the more expensive E3 brand plugs with the forked electrode. They are supposed to be better quality, so I spent the extra few bucks. Thanks for everyone's help!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Here is a couple examples what Bert referred to:
1669233386671.png
The plug on the left actually fell apart while I was disassembling the plug. The areas marks are cracks and there is no way anyone can see these except disassemble as I did. Plus this is the area where the resistor lays.

Believe or not the engine was only giving minor spark issues. Replaced them with some new NGK-2460 plugs.

Last edited:

mechanizm

Threads
... I have seen things in tanks like used condoms . plastic bags, the old price tag from the shop ( obviously annoyed the sales person ) .
I had a 72, Formula Firebird that would start bogging and stalling when the gas got low. I strongly suspected some junk in my gas tank. the gas station pulled the tank and found what appeared to be a paper bag inside. from the rolling and sloshing much of it had turned into a perfectly round ball of paper . I suspect that this happened at the factory..

Tbone0106

Threads
I bought a Cub LT1046 last year from a fellow who was convinced it had engine issues. He told me he believed it needed a "ring job." The symptoms he described sounded much like those in the original post here. He told me it was "fouling plugs," and he showed me one of the "fouled" plugs. It wasn't fouled. In fact, it looked quite normal.

After I went through the machine -- which was in pristine condition, clean enough to eat off of, with only about 200 hours on it -- I sold it to a church friend. I had found absolutely nothing wrong with it, and even thought about keeping it.

A couple weeks later, my friend called and said the engine was dying out under load, but would start up again if he let it sit for a while. That is, BTW, the classic symptom of a fuel feed problem. I brought it back to the shop for service.

I replaced the fuel pump, the fuel lines, the fuel filter. I went through the carburetor. I did all the routine stuff to chase away the fuel-flow boogeyman. Nothing changed.

Out of desperation, I snatched off the seat and the fender pan and pulled the fuel tank off. Inside the tank I found a small bit of red plastic that had lodged in the fuel outlet. The plastic, which did NOT block the fuel, had gathered tiny bits of grass and dirt over time, and those bits had formed a sort of plug. That was the problem. Once I cleaned the tank and put everything back together, all was perfect.