2020 Radius 44" E-Series with 702 - Owner Evaluation

Born2Mow

Threads
Radius E Series, model RAE708GEM44300

I love this mower. It is easy to work on, comfortable to ride on, and leaves a lawn looking great. The 800# weight makes it hold hills aggressively, and I'm able to comfortably cut in places I previously had to skip with the 350# mower it replaced. I wasn't sure I needed/wanted a roll bar, but now I have come to appreciate the added safety. The 7 gal fuel tank is WAY over-kill, but I cut areas 200 yards away from my garage and I was previously always having to return to re-fuel. Now I feel confident to cut the lawn on the right-of-way along my dead end street for 1/3 mile without having to worry about needing to walk home for the gas can. I also worried that the large fuel tank meant the 708 engine would be a "gas hog", and that has not been the case at all. I run the engine at slightly more than 3/4 throttle and get great cuts, excellent forward speed and very reasonable fuel use. I did elect to re-route the fuel line to a higher position so that I can reach the fuel cut-off valve while in the driver's seat. I absolutely did not like the idea of a transport deck height lock when I purchased the mower, but now that I've used it for a month I love it.

[Note that most 44" models come with a 702 engine, but I got a "Covid parts shortage" model with the larger 708 engine.]

Things that I really love...
• The position of the engine puts the air filter, spark plugs, carb, oil drain, and oil filter in the exact right places for direct and easy maintenance.
• The lift-up foot pan/ belt cover makes cleaning and maintenance easy and simple.
• There are no areas where cuttings get entrapped. A leaf blower can easily remove all the debris.
• Large fuel tank.
• The driver's seat has LOTS of forward/back adjustment.
• The deck height settings are WONDEFUL. Not only are there plenty of positions, but there are 1/4" increments from 1.5 to 5 inches !! (Shown below)
• The jack accessory and the built-in jack point. I use the jack point to mount a trash bag holder for use when cutting along the neighborhood right-of-way.
• Battery mounted up high for easy servicing. The rubber battery strap is a great place to keep my oil dip stick rag. (Shown below)

PX20cKBh.jpg

Typical deck height adjustments. The pin is held in place by magnetic force.

P8WYjjkh.jpg

I did route the fuel line over the frame which allows access from the driver's seat. Since this photo I have also added a battery disconnect.

Things that are so-so...
• The deck lift lever seems a little too close for my 32" inseam legs. But the operation is still simple and easy.
• I appreciate that the 2 belt tension arms need grease, but the rear Zerk fitting was hard to locate. I've been considering a remote grease system so that the Zerks could be accessed easier and more often.
• My previous Hustler set the parking brake automatically when the control arms were moved outward. The Exmark's separate parking brake is taking some getting used to.

Things I hate...
• There is NO storage space. No place to keep my ear plugs, dust masks, or muffs when I'm not mowing. No place to stow the fire ant poison I must carry while cruising my Georgia estate. No place to stow the mechanical pincers needed for picking up cans and bottles while mowing the roadside right-of-way. And last but not least, here's the kicker... the official Exmark thermal mug won't even fit the Exmark cup holder... the one and only storage spot they do provide !! ?

slKUS6Sh.jpg

This is too rich. The official Exmark thermal cup won't fit into the one and only cup holder.

Last edited:

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good review. The Radius seems like a fine machine.

You should be mowing at full throttle. Nothing good will come from running it at less than full throttle!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Double ditto about engine speed
It is all or nothing