2019 STCII Steering Problem

Indy1Mike

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi All,
I have a 2019 STCII 60in deck I bought last year. I mow a 5 acre lot that is rectangular in shape, so I mow long paths. From day one, I have had trouble keeping the lines straight. The mower tends to waffle from side to side a bit. When I look back at what I just cut is sort of looks like I was drunk when I cut it. I had no problem with cutting a fairly straight line with my old zero. Has anyone had this kind of problem before with your Scag or other tractor? If so, what did you do to correct?

Honda Tech

Threads
Take it back to the dealer and have them fix it. May just be out of adjustment, but if you don't know what you are doing, it's easy to make it worse. Might also be as simple as a bad steering arm dampener.

Indy1Mike

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, I did that over the winter, they said it steers like other STCII's they have, but adjusted the steering dampner. Since I started mowing this spring there wasn't any change in how it handled. I'll send it back in when the mowing season slows down.

Honda Tech

Threads
Does it track straight for you if you just go all out? I'm kinda baffled what your dealer meant by their comment. STCs' are very smooth and easy to drive. May be that they don't have a clue how to adjust the tracking. May be worth it to contact Scag directly. They will share your concerns with the regional distributor, who in turn will usually reach out to the dealer and assist them as needed.
Unless your acreage is more like a motocross track, you should comfortably be able to mow with one hand on both controls and track straight.

Good Luck!