2018 Hustler Raptor - 3yrs owned, broke down 5 times!!!

TxBohemian

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 2018 Hustler Raptor - 3yrs owned, broke down 5 times!!!
48" cut, Kawasaki engine bought BRAND NEW from a local Hustler dealer (as opposed to a box store).
NEVER EVER paid so much for a mower!!!
And NEVER EVER had so many problems!
Second day after bringing it home dang thing wouldn't start!! Not even crank! Thought I'd lose my "man card" cause I even got out the instructions to make sure I was doing everything right! And I was!
I was going to call the dealer and tell him to come show me what I'm doing wrong, and I'll pay for a service call, but if it's something with the mower bring a trailer and a ck book to give my money back and pick this POS up!!
Later I figured out it was loose linkage on one side not allowing a bracket to engage a switch needed to start this thing. Tightened it and things were good - till the other side came loose a year later and it wouldn't start yet AGAIN!!
The sad part is the dealer (and Hustler) knows there is an issue with these linkages, yet evidently, they chose not to address it!!
Now at just over 3 yrs of owning this (you know, JUST out of warranty - and less than 170hrs on it) The stinkin' ground belt breaks!! Halfway through mowing so I put another one on and a week later the new one comes off!!!
Had to AGAIN get old faithful (my '05, 42" cut, $400 Craftsman) out to finish up!!
Hadn't had a chance to see what the exact problem is yet. However, my neighbor has almost the same mower (60") we bought around the same time, and he had some drive belt issue that the dealer said there is some cheesy bracket that keeps breaking and the fix is a tougher bracket from Hustler!!
HOLY COW!!! AGAIN, Hustler ignoring an issue!!

Having pretty good buyer's remorse about now!!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Are you sure that your issue should be with the dealer and not the manufacturer? I’m not aware of Hustler’s recall procedures, but if they knew they needed to beef up a bracket, there might have been a dealer notice of a repair procedure recall they did not pass on to you. Might want to contact Hustler support and calmly explain your concerns. Have all info about what you have done to resolve the problem, plus DOP and equipment model and serial numbers. What do you have to loose? Here’s the number 1-844-594-2448

TxBohemian

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, Rivets, for the reply and phone #, I'll definitely be calling.

From what I hear this has been an issue for a time and it would be hard for me to think Hustler has no clue.
There's a utube guy named "aging wheels" that put out a video of his Raptor SD and mentioned the exact same problems that I'm experiences including the "no start" loose linkage problem and I think his is a couple years older. (I love watching this guy, I feel like he puts on very good and interesting videos)

TxBohemian

Forum Newbie
Threads
Update
Thanks to the phone # from Rivets I called Hustler and expressed my concerns. Dianne was very accommodating and listened to my story. Lo and behold, I got a phone message a couple days later, from who I assume is a Hustler rep for this area, telling me to contact the local Hustler dealer (who I bought my mower from) that they discussed it and feel like they know the problem.
The dealer was cordial and accommodating, which is a different attitude then when I bought it and did put on the "upgraded kit", which was heavier brackets and larger bolts, to prevent the belt flying off issue. Haven't had a chance to use it yet to see if it is actually fixed, we'll see here in a bit.
However, when I dropped it off the owner's son and I discussed cleaning under the deck, and he said NOT to use sprayed water as that will get in the bearings and prematurely ruin them and I said I do that all the time and sure enough I have a couple bearings making noise. He said no worries that his mech will check them out and replace them at no charge since I've been having such bad luck with this mower.
That was not done!
Oh well, this isn't "rocket surgery", I'm sure I can handle it! But, still, NOT even 170hrs on this thing!!
I've made up my mind, if this thing craps on me again in the next 2 yrs, IT'S GONE!!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Glad to hear the update. Personally I would be looking for a new dealer the next time I purchased another unit. I’ve got many concerns about how your problem was handled and this dealer only handled it when pressured from above. That being said, hope you have 15 years of service from your unit, as Hustler does make good units.

clubairth

Threads
Yes you need to install the proper brackets to keep the Hydro's in alignment. I am still on the original belts at 310 hours. Zero problems.

Hydro Cross Braces-Labeled.jpg
They really make a difference!

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
spam reported

daved47

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought from a dealer in Rolla, MO. that I will not return to ever. I believe the Raptor is a very good machine but I also broke numerous drive belts until the Dealer told me about the bracket kit. However being more than three years old the dealer said the upgrade at Hustlers expense had expired. So I bought the new beefed-up brackets and installed them and am once again running like new. However,, a secondary problem arose when I choked up on big grass and the mower stopped. It turns out that the switch activating the mower blades has a fuse imbedded in it and I had to buy a new switch to replace the blown one. I found this out on a web site as the dealer apparently did not even know about it and was so sure that he never asked his service tech! Seems they just want to make the money selling these and then don't want to advise you but rather have you come in and get gouged for service!

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
unfortunately most things made today are made to last a limited lifespan. I've got a 7 year old SUV which the last of that generation model was sold in 2018. The electronics no longer work due to telecomunication changes, and Honda/Acura says they have been waiting on the part for over a year. The car was in warranty over a year ago when this started and is out now. Will be interesting to see how Honda/Acura handles this. I would expect mower clients to be treated even worse. I can find parts easier for a 50 year old car I have than this 7 year old one.