2017 ZT1 club cadet after 10 minutes running mower shuts off

cpl. bobski

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 2017 ZT1 club cadet after 10 minutes running mower shuts off
Hi everyone
I got a 2017 club cadet ZT1 46 inch cut 22 hp kohler 7000 series engine. Replaced air filter and gas filter after 10 minutes
of cutting the grass it will shut off but will restart and shut off after 2 minutes. Will always restart after it shuts off .Any ideas as
to what to check or replace .
bob witkowski

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check for foreign object in gas tank such as gum wrapper,etc

Born2Mow

Threads
Several ideas...
  • How old is the fuel? Ethanol fuel can go "bad" in as short a time as 6-8 weeks. What happens is that the ethanol comes out of solution with the gasoline and all of a sudden the engine gets a couple of tablespoons of pure alcohol... which a low compression engine simply can't digest. I recommend draining all the old in September and starting with brand new, just purchased fuel in the spring. Pour anything over 6 weeks old into your car, it can burn junk fuels. So what's in your tank may look good to YOU, but it can't fool your engine.
  • Water. Did you hose off the mower this Spring ? It only takes 4 or 5 drops of water to collect in the bottom of the float bowl to stop the flow of gasoline to the engine.
  • Starter interlock switches may be telling the engine you left the driver's seat or applied the parking brake... when you didn't.
  • Remove the fuel cap and see if it starts. The EPA fuel tank breather on newer mowers can easily clog (due to the effects of ethanol fuel). When air can't enter the tank, then fuel can't flow out of the tank due to simple vacuum. So the mower runs out of fuel, but can easily crank the next day after air leaks in.
Hope this helps.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Several ideas...
  • How old is the fuel? Ethanol fuel can go "bad" in as short a time as 6-8 weeks. What happens is that the ethanol comes out of solution with the gasoline and all of a sudden the engine gets a couple of tablespoons of pure alcohol... which a low compression engine simply can't digest. I recommend draining all the old in September and starting with brand new, just purchased fuel in the spring. Pour anything over 6 weeks old into your car, it can burn junk fuels. So what's in your tank may look good to YOU, but it can't fool your engine.
  • Water. Did you hose off the mower this Spring ? It only takes 4 or 5 drops of water to collect in the bottom of the float bowl to stop the flow of gasoline to the engine.
  • Starter interlock switches may be telling the engine you left the driver's seat or applied the parking brake... when you didn't.
  • Remove the fuel cap and see if it starts. The EPA fuel tank breather on newer mowers can easily clog (due to the effects of ethanol fuel). When air can't enter the tank, then fuel can't flow out of the tank due to simple vacuum. So the mower runs out of fuel, but can easily crank the next day after air leaks in.
Hope this helps.
Ethanol go bad in 6-8 weeks? More like 6-8 minutes LOL

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Probably a bad ignition coil going south on you. Either it's running out of fuel or spark.

slomo

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
he tool kit has an orange in line spark tester.
Get one they are cheap.
Just today I used it to see why an EH25 was cutting out after 3 minutes.
It continued to run with the tester in so the plug was bad.
Took all of about 3 minutes to diagnose, in fact it took longer to find an appropriate spark plug.
If the tester flashes till the engine stops then you have a fuel problem
If it stops flashing before the engine stops then you have a fuel problem.
Cuts the diagnosis time in half or even less.

Could be all of the above suggestions or non of them.
I like to know where to look before I start looking.