2017 42" Hustler Raptor w/ 22 hp Kohler 7000 series

SS Print

Threads
I've had this mower since new and a couple years ago I replaced the solenoid because it would just click when you turned the key. If you keep turning the key it would eventually start, but it was pain in the %^$. Changed it out and all was well for 2 mowing seasons. Then this year it started same thing. Then it wouldn't turn over at all. New battery shows 13.1 volts. I took the starter off because the gear was in the flywheel and would not retract. I installed the new starter and it cranked just like new. Mowed a little and killed it waited about 5 minutes and hit the starter and it just clicked hit it again and it started fine. I believe it is the solenoid again. How can I check it to see if it's functioning properly. Thanks for any advise.
Mike

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Check the trigger voltage across the solenoid. Some mowers have problems with extra long trigger wire circuits cause large voltage at the solenoids. Most time is the solenoid starters that affected but can happen on the remote solenoids too. The cure is usually the addition of a helper relay to shorten the trigger wire electrical path.

SS Print

Threads
Thanks for the reply Star Tech. I have started the mower several times now with no problems so I'm going to let it lie at this point.
Thanks Again
Mike