2015 YTH22v46

Marty59

Forum Newbie
Threads
Briggs and Stratton 22 hp v-twin intek chokeless start , Engine family FBSXS.7242VE Ser# 15 1027 YG 78383 Someone dumped this mower and other things in a Church parking lot. I cleaned carb bowl, new fuel filter, new plugs, air filter, oil and filter change. It is the choke less start. When cold it starts right up, when hot it will not start at all. Any ideas ? I put new blades, serviced the mowing deck and this mower will cut and sling high grass like its nothing.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The EPA sticker number is of no help in looking up parts. But you do have a Briggs 44N677-0027-G1 based serial number / date code. According the IPL you do have a choke. Just not a separate choke lever. The throttle control level is a combination version. This engine also has auto choke feature which may be binding plus thermostat choke opening device that holds the auto from completely closing choke when hot. If thermostat is not working or completely missing than the engine will be fully choke even throttle lever is in the idle position until the engine starts.

Marty59

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thankyou for your prompt and very informative reply. I will check the thermostat.

Marty59

Forum Newbie
Threads
The EPA sticker number is of no help in looking up parts. But you do have a Briggs 44N677-0027-G1 based serial number / date code. According the IPL you do have a choke. Just not a separate choke lever. The throttle control level is a combination version. This engine also has auto choke feature which may be binding plus thermostat choke opening device that holds the auto from completely closing choke when hot. If thermostat is not working or completely missing than the engine will be fully choke even throttle lever is in the idle position until the engine starts.
I found the thermostat. I observed linkage close by yet there was no contact between thermostat and linkage. I observed the mechanism closely and could not see how it worked. After much observation, I noticed a second hole in the mechanism on the carb. I wondered if the linkage had been installed in the wrong hole. I carefully removed the linkage rod and installed it in the other hole of the carb mechanism. I re-attached the linkage rod on the end close to the thermostat. I immediately observed how it was supposed to work. I had to adjust/ bend a metal part so it landed cleanly on the thermostat leaver and not the thermostat bracket. I ran the mower to warm it up good. I turned off the mower and observed the thermostat. It had moved and was holding the linkage down about 1/8 of an inch. I turned the key and it started immediately. Thank you so much for your information. Problem solved.

Last edited: