2015 Craftsman t1600 when I shift into forward or reverse tractor moves without the gas pedal being pressed and overrides brakes

dfortin556

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 2015 Craftsman t1600 when I shift into forward or reverse tractor moves without the gas pedal being pressed and overrides brakes
I recently purchased this tractor and the brake works fine. I just put new pads in it and adjusted it. However when I put the mower into forward or reverse with the brake applied, without pressing the gas pedal the hydrostatic drive moves the tractor in the respective direction. Is this a drive belt/pulley issue?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / 2015 Craftsman t1600 when I shift into forward or reverse tractor moves without the gas pedal being pressed and overrides brakes
How did you adjust the brake ?
The nut & spring on the brake rod is for adjusting the balance between clutching & braking
The nut in the middle of the caliper is for adjusting the brake itself
The transmission should select neutral without any pressure on the drive pedal .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Please post the model number from the serial tag. I think you got a CVT system instead of hydrostatic drive setup. IF so someone may have put on the wrong drive belt or you have a bent pulley.

dfortin556

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the quick replies....I just put in new pads and adjusted the center nut on the caliper...1E135B50265 is the serial number

dfortin556

Forum Newbie
Threads
Model # is 247.203744

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes it is a CVT system with a single speed transaxle and not a hydrostatic transaxle.

dfortin556

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok great I’ll check the belt and pulleys tomorrow

Chris_Townley

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just (yesterday) had the exact same issue.
I have a Troy Bilt Bronco from 2004-2005.
MY Issues was a new belt I put on. The store when I bought the mower didn't stock the OEM belts any more... but I was "assured" the belt I bought would work fine.
They did check and it was the exact same length.
So I put it on and when I put it in forward (or reverse) away it went without me even pressing the gas pedal.
I took the "new" belt off and put on one that was OEM and that fixed the problem
Seems some of the newer belts are a bit 'wider' and so the belt grips the pulley faster.
I noticed when the tractor went forward... MAN it would FLY. SO it was "over gripping" (if that makes sense) on the pulley and the only way it was still was if it was in Neutral.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I just (yesterday) had the exact same issue.
I have a Troy Bilt Bronco from 2004-2005.
MY Issues was a new belt I put on. The store when I bought the mower didn't stock the OEM belts any more... but I was "assured" the belt I bought would work fine.
They did check and it was the exact same length.
So I put it on and when I put it in forward (or reverse) away it went without me even pressing the gas pedal.
I took the "new" belt off and put on one that was OEM and that fixed the problem
Seems some of the newer belts are a bit 'wider' and so the belt grips the pulley faster.
I noticed when the tractor went forward... MAN it would FLY. SO it was "over gripping" (if that makes sense) on the pulley and the only way it was still was if it was in Neutral.
The new belt should be wider than the old because belts do not stretch, they wear thin because they grip on the sides
Because they are thiner the belt sits deeper in the V of the pulley thus the belt feels loose so we think it has stretched longer .