2014 Magnum MZ Bad Clutch?

Redbearded1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Greetings, Salutations and Happy Hallucinations.

I have a 2014 Magnum MZ 54" Deck & a Kohler 725cc engine.
Recently it started to vibrate heavily with the PTO engaged after I cut the lawn. This is something V-E-R-Y recent. Unit runs fine w/o PTO engaged.
Thought maybe low battery voltage, so I replaced it with a NAPA U1 with 430CC and a build date of 05/22.
It helped to a degree. Vibration is not as bad, but still vibrates. :cautious:
Wiring is intact, all fuses and relays good.
Blades are firmly attached, and nothing is jammed in the deck. Blades spin freely.
I humbly await your expertise.

Oh yeah, I went through the thread and found nothing pertaining to my particular year, model & problem

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
First verify that there is no missing chunks of the deck belt. Also verify the engine running on both cylinders. THese v-twins can run very well on one off load and you eve ndrive the equipment around but the deck load is added they not run very well if at all.

Redbearded1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Belts are in good condition, with no chunks.
Running on both cylinders.

ken2

Threads
Look close at all the pulleys. When I was a Snapper dealer it was common for the RER mowers to break the crank shaft pulley. The Snapper pulley was made in two pieces spot welded three times. One weld would break and allow the two halves of the pulley to separate. Really made the mower shake.

lugbolt

Threads
yeah look at the pulleys. Take the key out of the ignition and stick it in your pocket. Now get up under the mower, turn the blade belt and watch the belt run through the pulleys. Pretty common to get debris in the groove of the clutch pulley and it'll cause vibration, big time. Usually can see it easily,. I just pry it out with a screwdriver or whatever's handy. Knife, welding rod, whatever.

Redbearded1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Greetings
Thank you to everyone who contributed to me finding the problem. Greatly appreciated.

Turns out it was a combination of a bad clutch and coil.

Again thank you for your help