2012 Classic T Electrical Issues

Grhopper

Forum Newbie
Threads
Last year I bought a 2750T from a guy that used it at his house. Not sure if he's the original owner or not, but it has less than 500 hours, so I don't think it was used in a commercial business. When I bought it, the guy said that it wouldn't start by the switch, he had to use a wire to jump from the battery to the starter. In order to do that, he did something to bypass the seat safety switch. I'm not sure what other safety switches are bypassed.

I didn't have any issues with it last year. It started fine the first time I went to use it this year. The next week I couldn't get it to start. As someone that doesn't know much about engines, I figured I'd start cheap and move up. Changed the spark plugs, air filter, and replaced the carburetor. I planned to change the oil as soon as I could move it to another location. I checked the oil level and it is good. Then I got some help from a neighbor, and we figured out that the plugs weren't getting any electricity. He tested the key switch and everything seemed fine.

One day I got it to start, but when I turned the PTO switch on, the engine cut off. I ordered a new key switch and PTO switch and replaced those today. Still nothing. I've charged the battery multiple times during all of this. I'm not sure what to check next.

Usually, when I turn the key to the on position I can hear a faint solid beep sound (best way to describe it). Currently I do not hear that sound. When I got it to start the other day I could hear the sound.

Born2Mow

Threads
Sounds like your issue is in the starter safety interlock system, and not the starter or engine. The seller definitely had to do some work to bypass the seat safety switch in order to get off and jump the starter. Now, you may have an additional switch failing. Start by testing all the switches and then trace out all the safety interlock wiring to make sure it's in good order.

Bypassing ANY of the safety interlock is a very BAD idea.

Grhopper

Forum Newbie
Threads
I found the wiring diagram in the 2012-classic-t-parts-manual. Is there anywhere that has pictures of the location of the switches?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No .
Only Deere shows where switches & plugs are located in the technical manual.

You have a problem with the seat switch .
The switch has an anti tamper plug on it o stop people doing what the original owner has done
Reconnect it and your problem will go away.
Usually people bypass the seat switch to prevent the engine cutting out when driving too fast over bumpy ground .
If that is a problem for you then pull the switch apart and put a screw into the end of the plunger to desensatize it

Born2Mow

Threads
The "seat switch" is usually under.... wait for it.... the Seat !! :ROFLMAO:

What I suspect is that the switches are OK, but that the PO butchered the harness trying to by-pass the safeties. Probably not real pretty.

Good luck.

Grhopper

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've used it both with the seat switch connected and disconnected over the past year.

eSihjsg.jpg

Is this black box a normal connection, or should the grey plug be plugged into something? There are 5 wires that go into the plug. When I disconnect the 2, there are 4 pins coming from the black box to the grey plug.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As Born2mow mentioned, the DPO butchers the wiring to bypass the seat switch
The grey plug has a bridging terminal in it that shorts the wiring if the other side of the plug is removed ( usual method of bypassing an N/O type switch )
So the black half is part of the original seat switch .
I have one have I use when working on these engines because it is quick & convienant to be able to start & run the mower without any one in the seat for the purpose of diagnosis & adjustment.

Grhopper

Forum Newbie
Threads
With the way things are pictured, does that rule out the seat safety switch? What should my next step be?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've used it both with the seat switch connected and disconnected over the past year.

eSihjsg.jpg

Is this black box a normal connection, or should the grey plug be plugged into something? There are 5 wires that go into the plug. When I disconnect the 2, there are 4 pins coming from the black box to the grey plug.
Might be a 925 1648 relay

Grhopper

Forum Newbie
Threads
Based on the picture of a 925-1648 relay on Amazon, that is not the same relay. The one on my mower has 4 blades in a row.