2011 Dixie Chopper Xcaliber 3374 not starting - need help please!

crossdw

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 2011 Dixie Chopper Xcaliber 3374 not starting - need help please!
I have a 2011 Dixie Chopper Xcaliber 3374 with the 33HP Generac Engine. My issue is that the mower will not start using the ignition key. I have replaced the starter, ignition switch, and all three relays. The battery is fully charged to 13.6vdc. I have tested the safety switches at each of the drive arms with a multimeter and they are good.

The mower has 12volts (13.6v) power when the key is turned to the "On" position, but I cannot get 12v on the orange wire when the key is turned to the "Start" position. This orange wire connects to a spade connector on the side of the starter. I have cleaned all the contacts.

I can manually start the mower by using a jumper wire from the base of the starter main 12V lug to the spade terminal on the side of the starter, so I know the starter is good and the mower works fine once started. I just can't seem to get 12v on the orange lead which connects to the spade on the side of the starter.

What else can I test or replace? I can use the mower, but it's really annoying not being able to start it with the key.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
1644880590784.png

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
My usual method would be to use short jumpers to jump the terminals for the safety switches
If that does not work the jump the relay bases as well
If that doesnt work then make a long jumper with a female for the starter & a male at the other end
The using the diagram Star posted above move the jumper back one switch / plug at a time till the engine cranks.
Note the key switch plug must be jumped B to S first .

Really like the way they have drawn the relay bases

crossdw

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the diagram. I had printed one out a few months ago and have been using it to troubleshoot. However, the diagram stops at the engine plug and does not show the wire going all the way to the starter or any other relays, switches, diodes, etc between that plug and the starter.

I have changed out all of the relays and tested the switches and they all test fine. The mower will run fine once I manually start it by shorting the 12v main power lug on the starter to the starter solenoid (spade connector), so a "safety interlock" failure seems unlikely since I would expect it to not run or stop running once I manually started it. I found a diode on the starter side of the engine plug connector. It tests okay with my multimeter, but I ordered a replacement anyway just to try it. Aside from that, I'm at a loss...

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Unless you believe in gremlins then one of the safety circuits is preventing the engine from cranking.
Finding it can be a right royal PIA
New relays will make no difference if they are not getting the correct trigger signals.
That is why it was suggested that you JUMP the relay bases
If you JUMP one of the relay bases & the engine suddenly cranks then one or both of the safety switches, or the wires between the switch & the relay housing is faulty
The fact that it runs fine mean SFA and proves absolutely nothing other than the carb solenoid is getting 10V or more and the magneto kill wire is not grounded .
And remember a circuit is a loop + to - and back to +
So either the + side or the - side or both can be switched
So go back & check the relay BASE that switches the power to the starter solenoid .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Key switch make/break contact configuration.
1645023795253.png

And the PTO switch pin out should be.
1645024331578.png

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check the PTO switch since the start circuit goes through it.