2010 exmark, engine squeal then pops 20A fuse..sometimes..

Sabre2th

Threads
  • / 2010 exmark, engine squeal then pops 20A fuse..sometimes..
I recently replaced the original FX801V with an FX850V EFI, ran fine for 20 hours or so. I shut it off and then restart, (before PTO is engaged) and it starts a loud squeal (from the engine, it sounds), pops fuse and dies. The first couple times I replaced the fuse and all seemed normal for several hours. Today it did it, but after replacing the fuse, the squeal came right back. A quick off-on with the ignition switch made it stop squealing.

Also, the starter completely fried a couple days ago. I swapped it with the old one from the 801 and working fine for now. Could be related?

Any ideas where to start?

Last edited:

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
probably the cat has his paw stuck in the starter trying to get at a mouse that climbed in there.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Does he new starter squeal ?
A failing bendix or pawl clutch will squeal and cause the starter to get very hot to the point that the insulation on the wires can melt
A broken magnet under the flywheel can cause the mower to squeal

geelee

Threads
I would suspect the pto clutch

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
has anyone seen the cat?

Sabre2th

Threads
I would suspect the pto clutch
It does it before PTO is ever engaged. A quick off-on with the ignition switch (almost die, but not quite) and the squeal goes away.

Carl.Cook

Threads
I recently replaced the original FX801V with an FX850V EFI, ran fine for 20 hours or so. I shut it off and then restart, (before PTO is engaged) and it starts a loud squeal (from the engine, it sounds), pops fuse and dies. The first couple times I replaced the fuse and all seemed normal for several hours. Today it did it, but after replacing the fuse, the squeal came right back. A quick off-on with the ignition switch made it stop squealing.

Also, the starter completely fried a couple days ago. I swapped it with the old one from the 801 and working fine for now. Could be related?

Any ideas where to start?

Carl.Cook

Threads
Knowing it fried the starter and the problem continues with a new starter, I would suspect the key switch. If the switch sticks in the start position, the starter will remain engaged while being driven by the engine, which will burn up the starter. By turning the switch off and quickly back to on disengages the starter. I suggest replacing the switch or adding a separate switch for the starter which may be cheaper and ensure it never occurs again.