2010 28HP won’t charge.

Piros1

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I have a 2010 Skag Turf Tiger with a 28 or 29HP twin EFI engine. I had the regulator fail once and replaced it. Now my charging system has quit again. I tried a new regulator but no go. So I guess this leaves the stater as the problem? I have not run a diagnostic on it yet but am I missing something. Also I have misplaced my diagnostic directions. Do any of you have an idea what I’m missing?

txmowman

Threads
To check the stator you need to test the AC voltage output. Unplug the stator from the harness, put your DVOM on the AC scale. One lead on one side of the plug and the other lead on the other side of the plug. Run the engine at high idle. You should see above 26 volts AC. If so, the stator is fine.

Bertrrr

Threads
After the Stator test mentioned above, hook the same two leads up to the voltage regulator you should see 14 volts or so there, also the voltage regulator needs to see 12 volts from the ignition

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Sound like a FX850V EFI but that is just a guess. No model and spec number given.

The stator AC @ 3600 should be a lot higher than 26 vac.

1671542398569.png

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It’s not an FX850V. But if it were, this info is correct @StarTech.
See that why people needs to post the engine info. I have yet the Hp rating fixed in my head when comes to the Kawasaki engine especially. I just done with a FTX00 engine but that one is over 30 hp but it was a DFI and not EFI fuel system.

txmowman

Threads
See that why people needs to post the engine info. I have yet the Hp rating fixed in my head when comes to the Kawasaki engine especially. I just done with a FTX00 engine but that one is over 30 hp but it was a DFI and not EFI fuel system.
FXT DFI, boat anchor. 😄

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well the one I repaired is a very strong running engine after I replaced the blown engine head gasket. Now of the Hustler dealer told the customer he needed a new $4000 engine. Big difference between $4000 and a $300 repair.

txmowman

Threads
They are a beast of an engine when that Nikki fuel system is cooperating. Diagnostics on that throttle body can be a bear. Not worth the money to replace it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A bad ground connection to a regulator can kill them in very short time .
You have to test that then test the AC between both alternator wires and between each one & ground
Then the DC at the terminal to ground then the DC at the battery very common to loose a lot of Volts between the rectifier & the battery for bad / corroded terminals.
ZTR electrics are a disaster
Almost none of them are properly secured so they shake & break
Then you have battery cables that are exposed both ends, not sealed so water condenses on the trminals over night, wicks down the cables and rots through them in the middle because all of them are fitted as a hang down loop .