2008 Turf Tiger, how long do these last?

wahlstedtw

Forum Newbie
Threads
Genuinely wondering how long these zero turns last. I found a 2008 model with unknown hours, maintained by a reputable dealer, sold with some other lawn equipment and trailer. I haven't seen it in person yet but the pictures look pretty good. How long do these things really last? It seems 14 years is a really long time even for a well cared for machine.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well I got one 2002 model here in the shop that lost the engine @ 3000 hr and that was back in 2010. It is still going strong other than a hydro pump oil leak this year.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I know nothing about them however in general I have noticed in all industries that parts are going NLA much sooner than they did 5 -10 years ago. Even with our cars, things start going NLA 3 to 5 years now in some cases. The bean counters don't want to assign space to store parts in warehouses, and if the part is not in production then one is in trouble. Consider than in buying 14 -15 year old power equipment. Heck - I can't even get parts on some currently in production equipment these days.

slydog

Threads
Genuinely wondering how long these zero turns last. I found a 2008 model with unknown hours, maintained by a reputable dealer, sold with some other lawn equipment and trailer. I haven't seen it in person yet but the pictures look pretty good. How long do these things really last? It seems 14 years is a really long time even for a well cared for machine.
I bought a new Turf Tiger with 27hp Kohler Command Pro in 2006. Regular maintenance at home 4 acre lot weekly through seasons. Two years ago the engine shut down unexpectedly while mowing. Sounded like an alarm clock. The issue was that Kohler doesn't key the crank gear that that drives the camshaft. When the crank gear came loose, it caused the rotating assembly to go out of timing and damaged the valves and pistons. I found a supplier that had an aftermarket crank gear that was hardened and had a key slot in it. Had to drill the crankshaft and insert a steel pin included with the kit. New valves, crank repair, pistons and rings plus having shop do head & valve job, then reassembling at home was almost as costly as just replacing the engine, but I know it won't happen again. Other that reg maintenance, I've had no other issues. They have a poor design on crank and gear. It must have been happening progressively, because now it runs strong and no issues. If you are looking at one with the liquid cooled Kawasaki. reasonably priced, I'd go for it. G Luck