2005 Lawnboy Model 10865 Self Propelled System Not Working

CJinVA

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 2005 Lawnboy Model 10865 Self Propelled System Not Working
All of a sudden the lawnmower gave a loud screech and eventually began to give off a rubber smell. It would cost about $60 for a repair guy to tell me what it would cost to fix. Does anyone know how expensive such a repair is likely to be (I would have a pro do it). Around here, an annual tune up costs $100. If a couple of hundred dollars, I would probably just buy a new one (thinking of the Honda HRN216VKA). My yard has some hills. With the Lawnboy, I never tried to pull the mower backwards, would just pick up the back end a bit to move it around. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First of all, are you sure you posted the correct model number. I can find NO Lawn Boy model 10865, but due find a model 10685. Very tough for us to give you an estimate or ball park number, as we don’t know what’s wrong either. From your description I would say the drive belt is probably toast. If that is the only problem, an experienced mechanic should be about to replace it in about 45 minutes of labor plus cost of the belt. That being said, he may also find a bad pulley, bad blade adapter, etc. which would increase the cost.

enigma-2

Threads
Think I'd agree with Rivets. Something caused the transmission or drive train to size and the belt stopped causing the squeal and burnt smell. A new transmission is $109 on Jacks. But it may be something as simple as dirt clogging the drive and a good cleaning and lubrication will resurrect the beast. But the belt id definitely toast.