2005 Generac GTV-760 Valve Cover Gaskets

bijiminy

Threads
I'm getting ready to do several things regarding maintenance on my Dixie Chopper with the Generac engine. I'm going to adjust the valve clearance as advised even 100 hours. I bought this mower used, so I really don't know if it had ever been done before. My question is regarding sealing up the valve covers so they will not leak oil. I have new valve cover gaskets. So do I need to put any sealant on the valve cover gaskets to assure an oil seal or just use the gasket? I haven't done this since I had my old Mercedes 300d. I reused the same gasket on the diesel and it never leaked. Not so on my old MGB. Of course, it had the old cork gaskets which notoriously leaked. Any advice would be appreciated.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Just both surfaces good, Install new gaskets, and torque the cover to 60 in/lbs.

And yes I remember to old cork gaskets on my cars too. They finally came out with premium version which I no longer had problems.

Last edited:

bijiminy

Threads
Just both surfaces good, Install new gaskets, and torque the cover to 60 in/lbs.

And yes I remeber to old cork gaskets on my cars too. They finally came out with premium version which I no longer had problems.
Thank you

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I like to put some sealant on the cover side so the gasket stick to it which makes future removal easy and axel grease on the engine side so it will not stick.
Definately nothing like silicon as you can spend hours trying to get the stuff off .
I spend more time cleaning off the old silicon than I do setting the valve lash & hand cutting a new gasket on engines where none was fitted .