2005 cub cadet tank low power

ac600417

Forum Newbie
Threads
Had this machine for about 10 years. Was used commercially until I got it, still only has about 600 hours. 23hp kawasaki engine. Last year, it had an issue with running. Had to feather the choke the whole time. Checked it out over the winter, one coil was bad. Bought a new set, one came in bad, but I have two working couls between the four. Now it runs OK, a few pops, that seem to clean up after running a minute. But every time I engage the blades, it loses rpms.

Carb is clean. But it is a cheap replacement from out east. Seems to have worked fine though. Im.stumped. plugs are new, but end up white.

What am I missing?

I

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Had this machine for about 10 years. Was used commercially until I got it, still only has about 600 hours. 23hp kawasaki engine. Last year, it had an issue with running. Had to feather the choke the whole time. Checked it out over the winter, one coil was bad. Bought a new set, one came in bad, but I have two working couls between the four. Now it runs OK, a few pops, that seem to clean up after running a minute. But every time I engage the blades, it loses rpms.

Carb is clean. But it is a cheap replacement from out east. Seems to have worked fine though. Im.stumped. plugs are new, but end up white.

What am I missing?

I
The governor is there to regulate the throttle opening to match the load on the engine
On a single cylinder it has to be a governor failure
On a twin it is either the governor or one side not working.

White plugs is too lean so either the carb is bad or thers is a minor air leak
Around 2/3 of the carbs on ebay & amazon are bad ( Shit I am getting sick & tired of posting this line )

If you need to feather the choke then obviously you have a fuel shortage problem.
The correct thing to do is find out why not just toss shit parts at it hoping the cheapskate fairy will look after you

If you have the old carb then clean it .
Check the fuel tank vent tube which should go from the manifold to the fuel tank neck

Kawakasi coils are like Kohler coils and have feedback diodes embedded in them
If one coil is not working , usually it is the other coil that is the problem and a good shop will replace both with good coils from a trusted source that has warranty on their parts ( not Amazon or ebay )

If a prt is good then it will either be branded by the maker or arrive in branded packaging but in either case will always have serial / batch identifiers on it some where ( to facilitate recalls ) .
Unbranded in unbranded packaging = potentially garbage & I do not want you to remembr where you got it from or who made it .

ac600417

Forum Newbie
Threads
The cheapskate fairy did not have my back apparently.

Some more info. Last year, it ran fine for 30 min or so, but when it got hot, it would start to die out. That's when I had to feather the choke. Maybe thats where I was wrong, but it.my experience, if a carb is dirty or starving or whatever, it would present itself sooner.

That's what led me to coils. Tested, and one was junk. So I did cheap out and get some off of Amazon.

As for the carb, it has been on there a couple years with no issues. It was replaced because I had brought it to a shop for spring tune up, and one of their guys dropped the carb while it was off, cracking the housing. Hence why I am stuck trying to do this on my own.

As for the white plugs, I know they are running hot. I've tried spraying starting fluid around the carb gasket, and intake gaskets on the engine, but it doesn't Rev up, so I'd assume they are good.

I'll pull the carb off.and clean that again, and look it over. Appreciate the help.