2003 Toro Super Recycler Mulch Plate?

CentralMA

Forum Newbie
Threads
Greetings,

New to the forum here...

Just picked up a Toro Super Recycler, 2003 vintage. Looking for some knowledge from the experts here.

Model 20039, Serial # 2300048XX. Parts manual states it should have a B&S 122607-0118-E1 GTS 6.75HP OHV engine installed. Chute for the clipping bag in installed, bag came with the machine.

I'm in process of cleaning the machine up as best I can. Sellers told me it hasn't been run in at least 7 years, probably more. Belonged to her father, now passed for some time.

Machine seems to be in excellent condition. Pulled the carb, I've seen dirtier ones on brand new machines. Jets look clean. Oil, if 8 years old, is like new still (will be changing current, then run for an hour or so, then another change). Gas tank was clean and empty, no bad smells. Compression seems OK. Pulled all plastic and the tin housing for a quick bath and degreasing. Air gunned the exterior, cleaned the fins, etc. Waiting for some parts (air filter, V-belt, spark plug, gas line, primer bulb etc) to arrive before even attempting to start it up. Picked up a used OEM battery charger, just connected it to see if there's life in the one that came with the machine, will know after 24 hour or so. Picked up some Tru-Fuel (no ethanol) for the first few runs.

As I stated previously, it has the chute attachment for the clippings. I'd prefer to delete that and source a "mulch plate" for it's replacement. Are these still available OEM, or does the forum have knowledge of a reputable seller of used parts?

Looks like I'll be spending a few hours looking through the previous threads....

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Unit is a 2003 model and the mulch plug is still available, part number 77-0500, but pricey around $50. Seen used ones on the web for half that. I suggest you check with all Toro dealers in your area to see if they have one laying around.

CentralMA

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply.

I was able find a source on eBAY for the "plug", but am unable to find a plate to delete the chute entirely.

I'll keep looking....

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You’ll be looking for a long time. Now I understand what you are looking for and have to tell you that to my knowledge there was never a cover produced for that setup. The plug is used as a cover for mulching.

CentralMA

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hmmm ... I could almost swear that I saw information that refered to one.

Thanks again. I'll order one off of EBAY.

CentralMA

Forum Newbie
Threads
Rather than start a new thread, does anyone know of a direct replacement battery (sized to fit the OEM battery box). I'm unsure of what the correct dimensions are, the battery supplied with the used purchase of the machine is also too big for the battery box.

Edit: ******* Dimensions of the battery, measuring the battery box, appear to be no larger than 5.625" x 3.75" x 2.0"

Part #s listed in the Parts Schematics are:

Ref. # 7* 105-6845 Battery ASM Panasonic
or
Ref. # 7:3 104-7903 Battery Panasonic 12v

All of the batteries I'm finding aftermarket seem to be too big. If I need to go direct to Toro dealership I will, but I'm sure there's a premium added to the price.

I've had the existing (old) battery on the charger now for 24 hrs, and I am happy to see that it will engage the starter and spin the engine, albeit at a slow pace. Could probably use a new if I decide it's needed.

Thanks again for all views and assistance.

Last edited: