2003? Gravely ZT 1640 Opinions

JJschafe

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've been mowing my 3/4 acre lot with a 1987 Wheel Horse for the last 4 years. It is a bullet-proof "they don't make 'em like they used to" lawn tractor. The problem is that the deck has seen better days. It seems like every cut requires some new janky fix to keep it going. Without going too far into detail, it would need a new deck ($700+) to get it back to cutting at an acceptable quality. Since I don't use it for anything but cutting, I just don't think that is worth it.

So, I have been shopping around for something used, but with a pretty small budget... around $1000. Looking for a small ZT or even a walk-behind. My yard is basically flat an uneventful, except for one area where a very large tree has a lot of shallow/above ground roots.

Yesterday I found that a neighbor had a 2003 Gravely ZT 1640 for sale. 40" deck, 16hp B&S engine. ~300 hours. He used it to mow 2 acres until 2009 when he moved here, and it has been stored in a shed since then. It is very well maintained and in good shape. It seems very stoutly built... all thick construction steel, no thin sheet metal. But, I can't really find anything in the way of info or reviews of this mower. Can anyone weigh in? Is this a good deal for just over $1k? Or should I keep looking?

Threads
It might be something to consider IF he maintained it after 2009 and just didn't let it sit. Pictures might help, too, to see the condition. :smile:

JJschafe

Forum Newbie
Threads
He drained the gas before putting it in storage, and put fresh in last week. Also bought a new battery. Other than that, no maintenance, I don't think. I would change the oil as soon as I get it, obviously. I test drove it yesterday and it started right up and ran great.

Here are pics. Some very minor surface rust on the deck, but that is it. Also, he has the chute from the deck, it is just removed. I appreciate any input...

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
A Gravely with 300 hours for a little over $1K that looks as good as that one......a no brainer, you couldn't go wrong on that buy!!! Is that B & S engine a Vanguard 16HP....if so, that's one of the best engines Briggs ever made and if well-maintened it will outlive the rest of that ZTR and you:0)

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I say get a new deck for your wheel horse :)