1997 Kohler 25hp twin, Pushing out oil seal?

ted.thurlby@gmail.com

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was able to pick up a 25hp. the other day. I was diagnosed by the owner saying that after running 20 minutes or so it would blow the crank seal out. Since it was free I took it home and inspected it. Sure enough the oil seal was out. After looking at the engine breather (the small plate on top of the twin engine) only two screws holding it on. I took the breather plate off and found the top of the breather surface duck taped over. After removing the tape I found that there was no mesh filter and no reed with a bolt holding it on. The little hole that one would hold the reed valve on looked to me as not drilled at. I could not feel any threads to screw a bold into. Question. I realize that this breather area is necessary so the engine can vent pressure out of the engine. No sure if this model has a reed or necessary. But why would someone use duck tape to seal off the area. To me is seems as though the engine was plugged and thereby blowing out the crank seal. I realize I would need to buy a gasket, but wondering if I am correct as to replacing the reed, and why it is missing. Sure about the reed screw. Looks like the hole is not drilled. No signs of one ever being there. Haven't checked anything else as of yet. Realize the is probably more to the story. He bought a Harbor Freight engine to replace this Kohler 25 hp. Also there is no id # on the engine, except the heads have 97 on them. So I am assuming its a 97 model. Where else is any id located??? Ted from Seattle.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The model and specification number would of been on a sticker most likely on the blower housing, which like to either come off or fade making it hard to read. Is this a Command or a Courage because both were made in 25 hp. also vertical or horizontal shaft.