1995 Simplicity Regent 1692403 No Power

GTurnerJr85

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 1995 Simplicity Regent 12HP Hydro. I was mowing yesterday and got stuck trying to go over a small hill on my property. Couldn’t get free, so I shut it off and was able to manually free it and move it back off the hill. Got back on and when I tried to start it, nothing happened. No click, no turn of the engine, nothing. Saw that the deck belt had broken, so replaced it, but that obviously didn’t change anything about the complete lack of power when I try to start it.

Can anyone offer any ideas as to what the problem might be? Can’t imagine what could have happened in the short span of time between getting stuck and getting free. Not likely to be the battery, as I just replaced that. Thanks in advance for any ideas!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You didn't forget to disengage the PTO did you?

GTurnerJr85

Forum Newbie
Threads
You didn't forget to disengage the PTO did you?
No, PTO is disengaged.

I’ve tested the battery to be sure, and it is producing over 12v of power. Also tested to see if the starter solenoid is getting power from the battery, and it is. Again, the multimeter registered over 12v on the positive line.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Testing with a multimeter is not a good way to test a battery. It can show 12+ volts and still be bad. The true way is to load test it.

GTurnerJr85

Forum Newbie
Threads
Testing with a multimeter is not a good way to test a battery. It can show 12+ volts and still be bad. The true way is to load test it.
I just replaced it so I think it’s very likely to have anything to do with the battery. Testing it was more of a formality, not because I have any real cause to believe it is the problem.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Did you check the fuse?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
IPL show a resetting circuit breaker but I have yet to find a proper wiring schematic for this mower. Does show neutral safety, PTO, and brake switches that should checked for proper operation.

GTurnerJr85

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have not been able to locate a fuse. I did locate the solenoid and a circuit breaker under the seat by the battery, but no fuse. I’ve ordered replacements for those, since they are fairly inexpensive. And like StarTech I have not been able to locate a wiring schematic for my mower.

GTurnerJr85

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here’s where I am as of today-I’ve replaced the solenoid, circuit breaker, and ignition switch and none of these have solved the problem. The only way I can get the mower to start, I’ve discovered, is by connecting a jump cable from the battery to the starter. It will start if I do that. What else could it be? I’ve noticed a cable dangling down above the mower deck. It was covered with electrical tape, and when I took the tape off discovered that it is a socket with a jumper pin inside. Is this some sort of safety switch?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
There will be a small wire going to the starter solenoid. Disconnect it and see if you get battery voltage from it to ground when the key is turned to start position. If NO then the problem is in the start circuit. Could be ignition switch or any other safety switch OR a corroded connection. Start at the ignition switch. There should be battery voltage at the S terminal when the key is turned to the start position. If YES then you will need to work your way through the switches. clutch, PTO.
Clean the ground connection from battery to mower. If the engine has a fuel cutoff solenoid on the carb does it "click" when you turn the key to ON?

Last edited: