1993 MTD Chipper/Shredder Carb

supermex

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good morning guys. It's been a while since my last post. I acquired a 1993 MTD chipper/shredder with an 8hp Tecumseh engine. The machine sat for at least 2 years I was told. Anyway the carb was robbed of the float and needle and maybe other parts. I am looking for the parts to rebuild this carb. I have reached out to Jacks online but they are asking for the model number of the engine. The engine doesn't have a model number on it. I provided the number on the carb which is 1071 C2K. The model number of the machine is 243-648B000. I have searched the web and can't find what I'm looking for. I have an 8hp vertical shaft engine off of an old snapper mower. I took the carb off of it which has no adjustment. The engine ran but with choke or wide open. Then it would pop some. I'm at my wits end. Please help if possible.
Thanks in advance for any and all help.
John T.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Go to Partstree.com and look up Tecumseh carburetor PN 632351. Use the look up by model number section for an IPL of the carburetor.

supermex

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you StarTech. I've ordered parts.

supermex

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well guys, I got the engine running but not without problems. After thoroughly cleaning the carb and installing the kit the engine would idle and run at full throttle. But, it started flooding out. I tracked it down to the gas flowing out of the emulsion tube. This carb has a fixed emulsion tube. I have set the new float as the Tecumseh website stated, 11/64 drill bit gap. Again all is new inside the carb. Also I have to run the main adjustment screw all the way in on the bottom of the bowl just to slow the leaking gas down. I have to clamp the gas line so the gas won't leak out when the engine just sits. I have removed the carb so many times! I'm at my wits end. What am I missing?
Again any help will be appreciated,
John T.

Last edited:

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Some later carbs have a rubber seat for the float valve rather than a rubber tipped needle. Might look for this and check for a foreign piece of anything in there too.

supermex

Forum Newbie
Threads
tom3, thank you. I believe I got it. I had to spray carb cleaner through all orifices and blow them out. I did find 2 holes which were stopped up. I forced a needle in them and re-sprayed/blew them out. As of now the engine is running without loading up.

Again, many thanks,
John T.