1988 Murray 8-36566

cearls87

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just purchased my first Murray. It unfortunately did not come with a mowing deck. I plan on stripping it down and restoring it. So I am looking for a 36 inch mowing deck that would be compatible with this tractor. Are there universal fit mowing decks? Or a known brand that works? I would be willing to go up to a 42 inch deck if needed. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry to tell you this, but you’re going to have a difficult time finding a good used deck for a 33 year old unit. Your best bet will be to contact every dealership within a 100 miles of your location and let them know your needs. Murray decks were about the cheapest decks ever made and were acceptable if they lasted 5-7 year. Good luck in your quest.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Rivets might be right, normally is.

My thought was it was made by MTD and in many flavors slash brands putting their name on it. Wondering if some Craftsman or the like might fit? Or did Murray make their own machines?

slomo

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Back in 88 Murray was building their own units.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Back in 88 Murray was building their own units.
And for a lot of other customers according to the colour codes for ordering parts
Hayters , Stihl , Flint ,Yard-King ,K-Gro, Scotts ,Bolens, Yamaha , Polo , Sear , Deer, Viking ,Stiga , Husqvarna ,Ingersol , Massey , JC Penny & Nauder .
No idea exactly what they made for these companies but they made something for each of them painted in the correct corperate colours.

cearls87

Forum Newbie
Threads
Are there drawings/ measurements/etc where one could be manufactured?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Any deck can be fitted to any mower
All it takes is some welding
Easier with electric PTO's than manual ones .
Just depends upon your proffency
If you have a manual deck, it is easiest to make some sort of cable engagement .

Joed756

Threads
Check out Craig;s List and such for a used one. Often you can buy a non-running unit for next to nothing.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
And facebook marketplace.

slomo

davelakeside1

Threads
Are you anywhere close to Mass? I have an old (year TBD) with a Deck size (TBD) still on the mower. The steering is stripped and the 10HP engine was repurposed.
The rear end is still on it and worked good. Let me know if you're interested.