Repairs 13AN689G766 Pony (2004) troy bilt tuffy drive belt loose

catscan

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 13AN689G766 Pony (2004) troy bilt tuffy drive belt loose
Hi all, nice forum posting because my troy bilt tuffy has a loose drive belt and put a new belt on kinda worked but not all gears only higher gears now barely moves in 7th gear.
here is a schematic of the tractor for reference. It doesn't really have as many pulleys as newer tractors as seen in diagram.
Troy-Bilt 13AN689G766 - Troy-Bilt Tuffy Lawn Tractor (2004) Drive Diagram and Parts List | PartsTree.com that is the drive scematic
here is the drive control rear wheels, the belt slipps in every gear now and I though maybe there was a spring missing or a pulley? But hopefully someone here has had the same problem to fiuix, read about adjusting the control arm? Well here is the schematic
Troy-Bilt 13AN689G766 - Troy-Bilt Tuffy Lawn Tractor (2004) Drive, Controls, Rear Wheels Diagram and Parts List | PartsTree.com
Ill be watching the forum closely for any answers your input is really appreciated thanks again Also took cover off of the rear and watched the drive belt it is really loose. And oputting it in 7th gear really doesnt tighten it that much.
Bob

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Make sure both spring item 58 and 59 are hooked in the notches on the rear hitch frame piece. Now did you use MTD troybilt belts. and did you replace both belts.

On MTD there is no other belt that will work do to there own cut angle and widt, so you have to use mtd belts. Also you have to replace both belts because if one is worn it will not syncronize correctly.

catscan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Make sure both spring item 58 and 59 are hooked in the notches on the rear hitch frame piece. Now did you use MTD troybilt belts. and did you replace both belts.

On MTD there is no other belt that will work do to there own cut angle and widt, so you have to use mtd belts. Also you have to replace both belts because if one is worn it will not syncronize correctly.

yes checked that and they after market belts it was working but the drive belt is always loose as something is not in tension checking today
thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Remove both belts and make sure the variable drive pulley is working. The center pulley sheeve may not be moving up and down smoothly.

southernyankee65

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the 2004 Troy-bilt Tuffy 42" mower. I needed to replace a broken drive belt and purchased two replacement belts for the front and rear.

I've replaced the main drive belt from the engine to the variable speed pulley. I am now trying to get the smaller (rear) drive belt installed, but that belt is not going on. It looks like it is about two inches too short. I removed the transaxle pulley thinking it would fit after getting the belt worked into the grooves, but it is still about two inches too short. The clutch is fully released and I put the machine in 7th gear. I even tried first gear, but that made it tighter.

Any suggestions?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Make sure you are using belt numbers 954-04001A and 954-04002. Non OEM belts just don't work

southernyankee65

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay, here's what I figured out.

When you remove the main drive belt (larger one), you have to remove the crankshaft pulley completely. The reason for this is because you will have to install the new belts Both large and smaller belts) on the rear variable speed pulley's first. You must also remove the rear transaxle pulley to do this. Once you have performed the necessary steps on the rear pulleys and reinstalled the transaxle pulley, you can then place the main drive belt into the sheave (the v-part of the pulley) and then reinstall the front pulley onto the crankshaft.

Message me if you need more information.

Rich1234

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I have a 2004 Troy Bilt tuffy. I am replacing both upper and lower driver belts but the upper ( shorter) drive belt seems to be a little shy of going on. Some one in a few post up talked about prying the double pulley toward the frame then slip the belt on. Where do I pry at. Any help would be appreciated. The Model # is 13AN689G766. Thanks again.