13AM775S058 Loose new belt

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've put a new deck belt on this and the belt still sticks out in front of the drive pulley 2" with the deck disengaged. . IIRC, it's ok for one to stick out 1". The only belt adjustment on this would be the front height leveling rod.
Inspecting the pulleys, drive, spindle and idlers, they seem only a tad worn. So I'm guessing a little bit on each one would create an extra inch.
This isn't rocket science, I guess it just begs the question whether to just get a belt 1/4" shorter. Or replace all the pulleys.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Did you use 954-04060C ?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Be careful here as this model use different spindle pulleys and idler pulleys depending on the year of manufacture. Manufactured 2014-2016., all three had deck changes but used the same deck belt.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Just check the length as I have received belts from Stens that are the wrong length before. 96.5" Saving a couple dollars sometimes isn't worth the trouble or at least the MTD belt is only $17.66 from my distributor

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
That stens part number shows the same length as the OEM, did you make sure the P/N on the belt was the same on the sleeve?

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Be careful here as this model use different spindle pulleys and idler pulleys depending on the year of manufacture. Manufactured 2014-2016., all three had deck changes but used the same deck belt.

The 5th number in the serial number is a 4. I'm using that particular year for the diagram I looked up. Partstree has it listed as a 2014 96.5" X1/2"

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
That stens part number shows the same length as the OEM, did you make sure the P/N on the belt was the same on the sleeve?

Yes. I've gotten one wrong belt from Stens before. But it's never been one of these. I did notice when I compared the old belt with the new, that the old belt was a tiny bit shorter. But the V part was thinner. I figured the width of the new belt would take up the slack.
Guess not.

I've using a tailors tape to measure belts because I can't find a belt measuring gauge that goes farther than 100".

P.S. I just found another belt that I was going to use on another customers mower deck. I measured it against the old belt. And this one seems a tiny big shorter. Gonna remove the new belt and compare it to this one. It has a Stens part number on it. So if the new one is longer, than Stens owes me a belt.
They didn't give me a lick of trouble out of the one replacement I had. But if this happens again, they might have to give me a discount on their 752-998, deck measuring gauge. (Even though it only goes up to 100" belts.)

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes with 6.3 spindle pulleys and 4.5" idlers. as if it was a 2015 and 2016 the spindle pulleys would be 5.4" with 4.5 idlers.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Scratch that last transmission, ghost rider. Both new belts are exactly the same.