12S907 surging

kh0432

Threads
I have a 12S907 single cylinder on a pressure washer. It starts fine and runs well at Idle and under a load until the engine heats up. Runs fine for the first 5 minutes the starts to surge under a load. Tried a new carb, no help, cleaned the old carb and same problem. Is it possible that the head gasket could start sucking air after the head heats up? I'm thinking of pulling the head off next and cleaning the valves, lapping and adjusting them. I'm at a lose as to why it runs fine until it gets hot.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Possible obstruction in fuel line or fuel outlet of fuel tank causing a restriction that doesn't supply enough flow to replace what is being used causing it to run out of fuel in the carb.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Does it have The plastic airfilter base? Sometimes those can warp where they meet the carb and allow excess air in, since most of the time surging is caused by a lean condition (too much air, or as Illengine stated, not enough fuel)

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would check your valve adjustment.
See if that clears it up..

kh0432

Threads
Now that spring is here I got back to working on this. Adjusted the valves. Took the new carburetor apart and checked all the passages using carburetor cleaning wires and compressed air. This has the ready start carburetor which looks pretty simple. Not a whole lot of passages to clean on this one. Didn't help so I took the original OEM carburetor apart, cleaned it with 2+2 carb cleaner then ran it through an ultrasonic cleaner twice. Still surging. It doesn't surge when cold. When the choke fully opens it surges. I can hold the choke half closed and it will run fine even when under a load. I really don't think I still have a carb issue. So here's a stupid question. This engine was originally on a Weed Eater rear engine mower that I picked up cheap hoping to flip it and make a couple of bucks off of it. Wound up that the transaxle was bad and wasn't worth fixing. So I found a pressure washer frame for $10, put this engine on it and found a new pump that would fit it. Thinking back, it didn't surge this bad when it was on the mower. Started happening as soon as I converted it to a pressure washer. I see some posts that claim running a mower with no blade will cause surging but I would think this pump would have sufficient load. Also some people claim a leak between the air filter housing and carb will cause it. I was testing it with the blower housing and air filter assembly off because I didn"t want to button everything up until I have it running right. Sorry for the long post but I want to give as much info as possible.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did you replace the float needle and seat when you cleaned the carb? Did you check to see if the float level was correct when you cleaned the carb. Surging when the engines choke is opened is most often caused by a lean running condition. Over time the float seat will swell, causing the needle to close to soon, which results in a lean fuel mixture. I recommend you get a new kit, part number 398188, which contains a new needle and seat. Sometimes you must also replace the float. Here is the procedure which I follow.

Needle and seat replacement.
Remove the carb, and then remove the float bowl. Check the float bowl jet (which is the bowl screw) and make sure the jets both horizontal and vertical are clean and open. Tip the carb upside down and remove the float pin and float with needle attached. Look in the float needle passage and you should see the red float seat at the bottom of the passage. This is where a #5 crotchet hook would come in handy as you need to remove this seat. If you have no hook, but compressed air, you can blow through the fuel inlet and try to pop the seat out. Put your thumb over the passage to prevent the seat from flying who knows where. No air or hook try bending a stiff paper clip to dig the seat out.
I would either give the carb a good 24 hour soaking or have it ultrasonically cleaned at this time.
With the seat out clean the passage way with carb cleaner. Now you must find a drill bit slightly smaller than the passage way, to be used to press in the new seat. Apply a very, very small amount of a very light lube to the new seat. 3-1 oil or lighter, to help seat it better. Carefully insert the new seat in the passage way with the rings on the seat down toward the carb body. Slowly and carefully force the seat down with the back end of the drill bit. Once it is seated, check to see that it did not flip and the rings are up. Next check to make sure that the float does not have any liquid in it. If it does, replace. If everything looks correct, attach the new needle to the float and install with the float pin centered. It everything is correct, the float should seat level to the carb body, when looking at it upside down. If everything looks good reattach the float bowl, making sure that both the bowl gasket and the nut gasket seal properly. Reinstall on the engine and test unit. Remember to have patience and take your time. Good luck, but I don't think you'll need it.
PS: On the side of some Tecumseh carbs you will find a plastic cover. Under this cover will be an idle jet. Remove it and check to see that the jet is open both horizontally and vertically. You should be able to push the old float needle wire through the vertical opening.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It maybe the fuel bolt that has the main jet has a wax build up causing a lean condition. Plus have had to ever so slightly enlarge the jet.

Also make the has the Champion QC12YC (Briggs PN 692720) spark plug installed and it is gapped at .020".

kh0432

Threads
I ordered a set of wire drills. Since I have 2 carburetors I'll try going up a size on the main jet. If I mess one up I'll still have another.

kh0432

Threads
I'm at wits end! Drilled out the main jet slightly larger, no help. Put on a brand new OEM Briggs carburetor, no help. Checked the gas tank and hoses for obstructions, good fuel flow. Pulled off the flywheel, key is good and governor linkage is not binding. When I first start it it runs fine at idle and under load until the choke opens then it starts surging. If I hold one end of the governor spring it calms down. This motor was originally on a Weed Eater One that didn't run when I got it. The governor spring was missing so I ordered a Stens 490-406 which is supposed to replace the Briggs # 796484. When I look online at pictures of the OEM part, it looks different ( heavier) than the one I have. Would a weak spring cause a surging problem?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Carbs used on mowers and pressure washers are not always the same, as they are run under different loads. Drilling out the jet is probably your problem, as now you are putting more fuel into the engine with the same amount of air, running rich. If you installed a new carb but are using the wrong governor spring that may also contribute to the problem. As I am at a loss as to tell you how to proceed would you please post a few things so I can get a better picture of what you have in front of you. Please post the model, type and code numbers for the engine you are trying to get running. Please post the part number of the new carb you installed. Have you installed new carb and manifold gaskets?