11 HP Walker MS36-42 GHS needs to be Re-powered

j.chuck55

Forum Newbie
Threads
Has anyone had experience re-powering an older Walker MS36-42? Mine was purchased in 1990. It came with an 11 hp Briggs & Stratton engine. After 28 years the engine came apart internally and now I'm at a point of what to do. The original engine is no longer available and replacement engines with the same or similar dimensions are not to be found; at least that's what I've found so far. I would like to know if anyone has successfully re-powered one of these 11 hp B&S mowers and what were you able to do to accomplish it? Any tips, procedures, etc., that can be shared would be appreciated! The mower (except for the engine) is still in good shape and I really don't want to do away with it if there's a feasible solution to getting another engine to work in it. Thanks!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Contact Walker they are very helpful and may supply fitting instructions for alternative engines.
Because of the compact designs it might not be a strait forward operation and require spacers or modifications to the mower.

j.chuck55

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your reply. I did contact Walker last week and received instructions for making a conversion. However, the person sending them indicated they had never seen the actual conversion made. I had difficulty following the instructions but understood enough to know the conversion would be a major undertaking requiring cutting frame members, welding, and re-fitting/purchasing numerous parts in addition to the new engine. It was a lot more than I wanted to get involved with. Yesterday I did purchase a used 11 hp B&S engine that will require a few minor adjustments to make it work. However, I should be able to handle it. We've been getting a lot of rain and the grass is growing fast.......not much time to get the mower fixed. Thanks again!