10hp Briggs Generator Fuel pump needed or not?

scjarena

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got a 10hp coleman generator about 10years old (?) The diaphragm type of fuel pump is leaking so I was thinking about just taking it off because the tank is about the carbureator and thought it would run without it. Question is, does it really need the fuel pump, or in this case will it work fine without it? Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If the tank is above the carb, you should be fine with gravity feed.

scjarena

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. yeah its above the tank.

scjarena

Forum Newbie
Threads
I tried running this generator without the fuel pump. It痴 a little hard to start, it runs for about 5 minutes pretty good and then it starts popping a couple times out the exhaust, starts sputtering, running erratic and then dies. I知 thinking its leaning out. It does the same thing after doing the following things, ran it without the cap on the tank to check venting, tried new fuel filter, cleaned carb and jet two or three times. I ran it with and without air cleaner. I ran it with oil switch disconnected. I really think I could fix the problem if it had a air/fuel mixture screw on the bowl. I don稚 know what else to check, so I知 thinking about buying a new fuel pump for it although I think it should run without one. I知 thinking these carburetors originally were calibrated close to the lean side and now with 10 percent ethanol in the gas and the slight change in fuel pressure this thing is running a little lean. Any other ideas? Thanks

chance123

Threads
If the fuel supply is above the carb, it should run. The fuel pump does not pressurize the system. It only supplies fuel to the float bowl and the fuel to engine is at the mercy of the float. If you remove the float bowl nut with the gravity fuel supply, fuel should pour out the bottom of the carb. If it "does" then it is the engines job to draw the fuel from the float bowl. First thing is to see that fuel is getting into the float chamber. That is all that the fuel pump does.

If the fuel "does not" flow out the bottom of the carb with the gravity system, then you have a restriction possibly in your float needle & seat.