10323 Surging

jp1961

Threads
Hi All,

My 2003 10323 had a surging problem since picking it up off Craiglist about a year ago. Cleaning the carb and setting the float height made no improvement. I took the carb off a scrap 10323 and drilled the pilot jet using a 77 drill (.018") and main jet with a 67 drill (.032")
The drill was placed in a small chuck and I just reamed it out by hand. What a difference, it runs without surging. As a advocate not to do this, I'm forced to eat my words. Strange part is my 99 10323 never had a surging problem, I wonder if Lawn-Boy used smaller jets in the later model Duraforce engines trying to get the engine to pass tighter and tighter emissions?

Jeff

Last edited:

lewb

Threads
Agreed on drilling main and idle jet, my 10547 did not have a surging problem. I drilled both to see if I would notice any difference, I have a spare carb as a default. Difference is that I can start with out priming (2 or 3 pulls) and sound of motor when you load it hard will settle into a nice hum with stutter of reed valves every couple seconds. I have a nasty hill that is 30 to probably 35 degree at the steepest point. I can cut thick grass cutting 1.5 to 2 inch's off with out any hint of bogging in 2nd gear. I do use more gas than before and that is probably the only negative. My conclusion is that I probably did not need to do the mod (I like to f__ with stuff and make it better) but I figure using more fuel is going to cool motor and add more lubrication for extended service life. I think I have 15.00 in a mini tool bit set. Amazon is really changing how we buy products, I order the set and had in 2 days.