1/2 acre - replace my walk behind with a Toro SS4235 ZTR for time savings?

fireman949

Threads
  • / 1/2 acre - replace my walk behind with a Toro SS4235 ZTR for time savings?
We built 6 years ago on a 1/2 acre lot. Subtract the house, driveway, and a few raised garden beds and there is about 15,000 sq ft to mow. 6 years ago I bought a Husqvarna 5521CHV (Honda) easywalk self propelled mower with a 19" cut. It's been an awesome mower. Other than gas, yearly oil changes, and sharpening the blade, it hasn't cost me a dime, runs like a champ, and cuts very well.

From start to finish, it takes me between 2 and 2.75 hours to edge, eat, cut, and blow - 90% of that being cut time. Wasn't a big deal 6 years ago, but the kids are getting older and seem to be multiplying (2,5,7,8) so it's more fun to play with them than to walk behind a mower.

Last year I paid a service to have it mowed due to my limited availability. They didn't do a bad job, but I'm more meticulous and like to decide when to cut. I paid for 3 or 4 cuttings that were not really necessary because little/no rain = little/no growth for costal bermuda in North Mississippi. What I pay in 2 years of service would cover a ZTR, fuel, oil, and blades and then some.

This year I've started out cutting it myself, but I remember why I paid to have it done - time. So I set out to find a way to cut the yard myself which I enjoy very much, but reduce the amount of time it takes me.

Every time I go into the blue big-box store, the orange 46" Husq ZTR asked me to have a seat so I stopped by my local dealer as I have serious reservations buying a mower from Lowe's when you can go to the dealer and get the same stuff with expert advice and presumably better service when you need it. He steered me away from the lower end Husq and suggested the Toro SS4235 (74633). I did a quick compare between the RZ4623 and the SS4235 - the RZ has a thicker (13g vs 14g) stamped deck, trailer hitch, and hour meter. If I go with the SS, I'd need to add a $40 trailer hitch and the mulch kit is $100 more than the mulch kit for the RZ. Both ZTRs are around the same base price. Reading reviews tells me that the Toro is a better quality mower.

I know that Toro makes a nice 30" walk behind for ~$1k, but I can't walk near the 7mph the SS ZTR can cut 2.5ac/hr. My assumption is that I can edge, eat, cut, blow, and clean up in less than an hour with the ZTR.

Here are my questions:

* Is the Toro SS4235 a good value for ZTRs in that price range?
* My yard is very obstacle free, should I consider a fabricated deck?
* Is there another brand I should consider?
* Why couldn't I have just built on 1ac so I wouldn't feel like a turd getting a ride on mower for what seems like a mid-size yard? ( ok, don't answer that )

The title is mis-leading because I think I've convinced myself to get a ZTR.

JET4

Threads
Take a look at the Hustler Raptor. Same size 42 but with a kawasaki motor and a fabricated deck.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In my opinion, you won't go wrong buying the SS4235, but if you can swing it I like the SS4260 better.

fireman949

Threads
@jet4 the local Hustler dealer thanks you. For the $, I couldn't get past the 11gauge fab deck, Kawasaki engine, and <$150 for the mulching attachment. On top of that, at 3 miles away, they are the closest dealer by 25 miles (that wouldn't have made any difference as they all deliver and pick up). It'll be here tomorrow after they get it ready.

RatRacer

Threads
@jet4 the local Hustler dealer thanks you. For the $, I couldn't get past the 11gauge fab deck, Kawasaki engine, and <$150 for the mulching attachment. On top of that, at 3 miles away, they are the closest dealer by 25 miles (that wouldn't have made any difference as they all deliver and pick up). It'll be here tomorrow after they get it ready.

Hehe, Congrats sir!
You won't be disappointed. I have the same lot size, but went bigger w/ 54" deck. First time out, 32 minutes for cut; 10mins trim; 5mins blow off. These things are life freeing.:thumbsup:

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hehe, Congrats sir!
You won't be disappointed. I have the same lot size, but went bigger w/ 54" deck. First time out, 32 minutes for cut; 10mins trim; 5mins blow off. These things are life freeing.:thumbsup:

Ratracer,

I hear ya on that......my wife can't believe I have mowed our 1.5 acres 5 times this year with barely over 3 hours on the Gravely's meter:0)
Heck, I've spent more time cleaning it up when finished mowing than that:0)

RatRacer

Threads
Ratracer,

I hear ya on that......my wife can't believe I have mowed our 1.5 acres 5 times this year with barely over 3 hours on the Gravely's meter:0)
Heck, I've spent more time cleaning it up when finished mowing than that:0)

That was part of the sell to the wife on paying this much for a mower. The chore gets done 2X+ faster, gear lasts 3X+++ longer, and is 4X more fun. All for the same monthly price of what I would have paid a lawn service for me to not have to do the chore at all (since down here thats a 12 month proposition anyways).

fireman949

Threads
The worst part of the whole deal is that we have a 100% chance of rain today and tomorrow so I have this shiny yellow toy in my garage, all dressed up with no where to mow. No man should have to go through this.

I am glad I decided to add ~4' to either side of my 2 car garage when I built the house as the Huslter fits perfectly.

sps

Forum Newbie
Threads
The worst part of the whole deal is that we have a 100% chance of rain today and tomorrow so I have this shiny yellow toy in my garage, all dressed up with no where to mow. No man should have to go through this.

I am glad I decided to add ~4' to either side of my 2 car garage when I built the house as the Huslter fits perfectly.

Darn, I was hoping for an update on how the Hustler did. I'm looking for a ZTR for my 1/2 acre yard and the Raptor is sort of on my list. I've semi ruled it out due to the blade tip speed, but I'm not sure how much that matters. I'm really curious to see how it does. Please post after you get a chance to use it!

RatRacer

Threads

Haha! It's a test! Same issue here, but I fertilized 5 weeks ago. The rain ends tomorrow, and the grass is growing like a weed, squeezing out the weeds. The wife is actually motivated to give this a try (after 10 yrs :rolleyes:), who could say no? for 5 minutes?

I think the tip speed is a minor thing, given we all are coming from single cylinder tractors, and getting overly hung up on technical crap that doesn't matter to us non-golf course owners.