06 Super Bronco blowing fuse and starter grinding?

ryanh125

Forum Newbie
Threads
Replaced spindles on my mower and went to crank it up after it sat a few weeks and the starter made this loud grinding noise, pulled the cover off and looked at the starter and its spinning but its not rising up and grabbing the flywheel, but after turning the key a couple times it blew the 20 amp fuse, so i replaced the fuse and it blew again as soon as i went to try to crank up the mower to see if i could fix the starter from not engaging properly, went through 3 fuses before I gave up, is the starter making the fuse blow? Do i just need to replace my starter? Or is it something else. This just doesnt make sense to me, any help is greatly appreciated.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Starter can not blow the fuse because the fuse is only powering the solenoid not the starter
However the alternator wires run under the flywheel behind the starte and they can come loose & short out on the engine.

Diane W

Threads
The loud grinding noise could also be magnets rubbing against your stator, ultimately shorting wiring. Do you see any black, magnetic fragments under your flywheel? Can you turn it by hand?

ryanh125

Forum Newbie
Threads
Starter can not blow the fuse because the fuse is only powering the solenoid not the starter
However the alternator wires run under the flywheel behind the starte and they can come loose & short out on the engine.
The loud grinding noise could also be magnets rubbing against your stator, ultimately shorting wiring. Do you see any black, magnetic fragments under your flywheel? Can you turn it by hand?
I'm going to check these now, will get back, thanks!

ryanh125

Forum Newbie
Threads
Everything seemed fine to me all the way around.

Attachments

• 123213.jpeg
    123213.jpeg
    196.6 KB · Views: 6

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Now it is a case of tracking down the culprit.
The easiest way to do this is to unplug items one at a time till the fuse stops blowing
It s easier if you replace the fuse with a breaker .
I would start with unplugging the alternator.

As for the starter, jump from the battery + to the + post on the starter.
If the starter spins the engine properly then clean all of the battery cable connections, INCLUDING THE GROUND .
If it does not spin the engine properly then the starter is cactus