Lawn mower batter charger confusion

bt-99

Threads
Hi, I had just bought a battery charger that has 50/10/6<>2 amp settings. When I have a dead lawn mower battery, I am so confused on what amp to set charger at to charge it. I hear some say 2 amp slow charge is best, some say they do 10 amp. Not sure what is right. No interest in a battery tender or maintainer. Just need to know what amp to set charger at.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
For mower batteries I would choose either 10 or 6. 50 amp for car batteries. People say to best connect to 2 amp and slow charge it, but they can't answer the question about then connecting it to the 15-20 charging system on the mower. The battery doesn't know the difference between a battery charger and a regulated charging system.

Unless the charger is manual the charger will adjust the charge rate dependent on charge level of the battery. ie, may start out at 10 amp but could drop to 6 within 10 minutes, and down to 2 within 2 hours.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi, I had just bought a battery charger that has 50/10/6<>2 amp settings. When I have a dead lawn mower battery, I am so confused on what amp to set charger at to charge it. I hear some say 2 amp slow charge is best, some say they do 10 amp. Not sure what is right. No interest in a battery tender or maintainer. Just need to know what amp to set charger at.
The manual that came with the charger may mention the drop in charge amps as it charges like ILENGINE mentioned .

Lawn Addict
Threads
Unless it is an old "Dumb" Charger.. (no offense meant), I have one.. But I prefer my Battery 1.5 A MINDer*...

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yep, that's the way I roll.